*** There is a problem with new registrations - Contact us when you did not receive an activation email ***

Paterniti, Caccamise

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
6 posts • Page 1 of 1

Paterniti, Caccamise

Postby JCT » 10 Oct 2003, 21:12

Hello,

I have in the past 5 years put together a very extensive family tree, some parts going back to the 1750’s. One part of the tree has me stuck.

My maternal grandfather was Mathew Paterniti, born in Dec 5, 1917 in Jamestown NY. His father was a Mateo Paterniti (born 1884 or 5) from Tortorci who immigrated to Jamestown between 1900 and 1904. I have been trying to find any information on Mateo. He died at the age of 39 in 1923, and was a barber. Yesterday I found a ship manifest list for a Francesco Paterniti (misspelled Poterniti on the Ellis Island website) who went to Jamestown in 1905 to join "His brother, Paterniti, Mateo.) There are 3 Matteo Paterniti listed on the Ellis Island, none of which are my great grandfather.

Mateo Married Mary Caccamise in Jamestown, They had in addition to my grandfather 4 or 5 other children. Frank Paterniti, Mary Paterniti (who married a Barone) another girl possibly named Theresa and a son named Mathew who died as a baby. My grandfather was born after he died and was named Mathew too. After Mateo died she moved to Niagara Falls and remarried Louis Dangelo and had two more children. I have some basic information on the Caccamise family. Mary had a two brothers, Charles and Russell that had a restaurant in Niagara Falls. I found Charles' SSDI info and sent off for his SS-5 record, as well as having sent off for my grandfather's SS-5.

When I was small I remember going to Jamestown with my grandfather to cemetary to see his father's grave. If any of these 3 names (Mateo and Francesco Paterniti, Mary Caccamise) ring a bell, please contact me. Any Paterniti’s that read this please contact me.
Jim
JCT

Postby JCT » 10 Oct 2003, 21:15

Also, if anyone is looking into the names: Forcucci (Prezza), Buzzelli and Richutti (Castel di Sangro), Defranco (Cerda). feel free to contact me. I might have a wealth of information for you.

Jim
JCT

Postby ptimber » 10 Oct 2003, 21:23

If you have Mateo's date of birth whynot file form 81 for him with NARA (passenger arrival record into the USA) and see whjat comes up. I underdstand thast many names when transferred to the cxomputer were mispelled but in few instances the names were incorrect on the ships manifest. it seems odd that none of the three are your Mateo..and there is no record for him. I am sure you went to the cemetaryu for the burial records and obtained the death certificate for Mateo in Youngstown right? Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Postby JCT » 10 Oct 2003, 21:37

All I have is a possible birth year of 1884 or 5. I haven't been to that cemetary since I was about 5 years old, and that was 1977. I don't even know which cemetary he is buried in. The poeple who knew this (my grandfather and great uncles) have passed away. Also I live 2500 miles from Jamestown.

I will look into the NARA form.
JCT

Postby ptimber » 10 Oct 2003, 22:13

look up cemetaries in Jamestown or obtain his death certificate which will show where buried or the mortuary or the obituary Form 81 can be had thru www.genealogylookups.com/narchives.htm. File with NARA office NE regional office. Go to www.archives.gov/facilities/facilities_by_state.html for addresses.

Go to www.vitalrec.com/NY.html for death records in NY. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Re: Paterniti, Caccamise

Postby Proverbialfunk » 21 Oct 2013, 20:29

I would be interested in and have some information on Paterniti stuff as well. My last name is Paternite and I've traced a majority of my linage to Francesco Paterniti of Longhi, Messina (Italy.)

Please get in touch with me via Email at CPaternite@gmail.com . Anche, io parlo un po di Italiano. Grazie!
Proverbialfunk

6 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Italian Genealogy