Italian citizen born and living in Switzerland

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
sigel7
Rookie
Rookie

Italian citizen born and living in Switzerland

Postby sigel7 » 15 Feb 2009, 20:11

My grandparents were both Italian citizens but were both born and raised in Switzerland (canton Ticino). What country do I look for their birth certificats? and they were married in Switzerland, where would I search for their marriage records?

Thanks for the help.

Catherine

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Italian citizen born and living in Switzerland

Postby PeterTimber » 15 Feb 2009, 21:48

Their birth record will be in their town of origin in Italy..If you know the town you can send for copy of birth with form letters in Italian to Udffico di Stato Civile to that town. free of charge

For marriage records in Switzerland write (same form letter in italian) to Uffio di Stato Civile in the town where they were married in the Canton Ticino. There will be a fee but current charges are unknown. Most recent charge was 20 swiss francs but I suspect is now higher. =Peter=
~Peter~

sigel7
Rookie
Rookie

Postby sigel7 » 15 Feb 2009, 21:58

Thank you. How does one find the town of origin. The only info I have states where they were born, which is Switzerland for both. My greatgrandfather Luigi Calderoni, father of my grandfather, came to the US in 1911 but the town of his birth, per the ellis island manifest, is very hard to read. It looks a lot like Nolagrio in Italy, but I dont find any town w/ that name. But, even with that town identified, how could I find what the "origin" city is?

I have seen many of your replies on this forum and you are a wealth of information and give it freely, it is much appreciated.

Thank you,

Catherine
Looking for Calderoni

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 15 Feb 2009, 22:08

The town is MOLOGNO 55051 (Zip for Italy), Provincia Lucca, Toscana region.

For form letters go to www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwisdom/it ... tters.html =Peter=
~Peter~

sigel7
Rookie
Rookie

Postby sigel7 » 15 Feb 2009, 22:37

You are wonderful. I will send out a letter in the morning

Thank you,

Catherine
Looking for Calderoni

Return to “Italian Genealogy”