DiTomaso from Casacalanda

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
tdetomaso

DiTomaso from Casacalanda

Postby tdetomaso » 17 Feb 2009, 02:25

Looking for help with info on my grandfather. Domenico Antonio Detomaso born on December 17 or 21 1895 in Casacalanda,Compobasso Italy. Left Italy about 1917. His fathers name was Vincenzo (Feb 1 1865) mother Angela Maria Marcogliese (1863). Any information would be helpful. Our family has hit a dead end trying to go farther back in family tree.Thank You.

Essgee
Master
Master

Re: DiTomaso from Casacalanda

Postby Essgee » 17 Feb 2009, 04:17

Vincenzo DiTomaso was born 1 Feb 1865 in Casacalenda to
Nicola DiTomaso born 11 April 1833 and his wife
Maddelena Vincelli born 9 Jun 1833.

Nicola DiTomaso born 11 April 1833 was the son of
Vincenzo DiTomaso born about 1804 and his wife
Maria Torelli born about 1807.
The father of Vincenzo was Pietrangelo DiTomaso

Maddelena Vincelli born 9 Jun 1833 to
Francesco Vincelli born about 1893 (died 10 Oct 1838) and his wife
Maria Giuseppa DiGenova born about 1794 (ded 13 May 1851

Francesco Vincelli was the son of Giuseppe Vincelli and his wife Fortunata D'Andrea

Maria Giuseppa DiGenova was the daughter of Giuseppe DiGenova and Felicia Perrazzino.

Domenicantonio DiTomaso born 21 Dec 1895. He had a brother Nicola born 14 Feb 1893.

Domenicantonio arrived in NY on 18 April 1915 on his way to Cleveland.

Can get original copies for you sometime this week. Will see what I can find.

Have a good evening.....

tdetomaso

Postby tdetomaso » 17 Feb 2009, 04:50

Ok, not sure how you got all that info so quick, but you truly are the master. Thank you so much. I can not wait to show my father what you have found. I look forward to hearing from you again.
Thank You!
Tina DeTomaso

Essgee
Master
Master

Postby Essgee » 17 Feb 2009, 05:00

Made an error on the arrival. The date was off a year...1914 was the actual year and the ship was the Madonna. His age was listed as 18 on arrival. Left father Vincenzo in Casacalenda.

Glad I could help.

Back with what I find at the library later this week.

Have a great one......

Essgee
Master
Master

Postby Essgee » 18 Feb 2009, 12:15

Tried to post the documents yesterday, but files were too large. Will attempt it again later.

Also, having trouble locating the birth of Angela Maria Marcogliese. Went through a number of years of birth records and the only one I found had a note on it that she married a Tozzi. Until I can find the marriage record, I can't figure out if this is the correct person or not. Only person of this name listed for a period of over 10 years.

Anyway, I will get back to you on that later this week.

tdetomaso

Postby tdetomaso » 18 Feb 2009, 19:49

Thank you for your efforts, they are greatly appreciated. My father came over and was able to show him what info you have sent me. He was very excited. ? is there a way you could send documents to my personal email with out my posting email in the forum? Again thank you for your time.
Tina

Essgee
Master
Master

Postby Essgee » 19 Feb 2009, 12:43

Tina....

not a problem. My e-mail is hrw3@worldnet.att.net Send me a note and I will attempt to send the original documents.

Will continue to post here the transcribed results in case others are looking for the same line.

Essgee
Master
Master

Postby Essgee » 20 Feb 2009, 04:36

OK....

Found Angela Maria Marcogliese born 2 Junw 1862 to
Domenico Marcogliese son of Michele Marcogliese, and age 40 and his wife
Maddelena Lavalle, age 30.

Maddelena Lavalle was born 13 Dec 1828 to
Nicola Lavalle age 33, son of the late Pietro Lavalle and his wife
Mariantonio Falasca, age 24.

Anagela Maria Marcogliese married on 17 Aug 1890 Vicenzo di Tomaso.

Nicola Lavalle was born in Carena to the late Pietro Lavalle and his wife Teresa Ruggiero, and he was married on 18 Aug 1825 to Mariantonio Falasco, daughter of the late Domenico Falasco and Maria Belmonte. Apparently Nicola was married before because there is a reference to the death of a first wife, Maddelena di Ruberti, daughter of Crescenzo di Ruberti and Carmina Falconio, at the age of 19 on 7 Mar 1824.

There is a listing for the death of Marco Falasco delli Schiavi, widower of Domenica di Geromino. He was 52 and died 21 Feb 1803. The "delli Schiavi" appears to indicate that he was born in Schiavi di Abruzzo, which is in the Province of Chieti.

Domenico Falasco was the son of Marco Falasco. Maria Belmonte was the daughter of Cosmo Belmonte.

Most of this was in the marriage record of Nicola. There is a bit more...but very hard to read. The copies are almost black and I haven't been able to make them clear enough to read, nevermind send to you.

Hopefully I will be able to get back and find more.

Hope this makes sense. The birth record for Domenico Marcogliese will take a bit of time as his record is among a number of years that weren't indexed and you have to read each record within the range of years.

Anyway, give my regards to your Dad and I will continue to look into this. I will attempt to send privately the copies I made that are readable.

Have a great one...

Essgee
Master
Master

Postby Essgee » 20 Feb 2009, 15:24

Correction...

Nicola Lavalle appears to be born in Coreno...which is Coreno Ausonio in Frosinone in Region of Lazio. Looks like his father, Pietro, was the son of Antonio Lavalle and Angelina Stavole (Stavale)

All these names: Lavalle, Ruggiero, Stavale are found in Coreno Ausonio.

rxvalle

Postby rxvalle » 04 Apr 2009, 04:45

I am new to the forum. I wonder if anyone has any information on the Stavole family name which is from Coreno. My family name is Stavale and we are from Fuscaldo (CS). The Stavale's in Altomonte, Bisignano, Cosenza I don't know if the Coreno Stavole family originated from Fuscaldo or is a totally different family line.

thanks

Ron Stavale

mpalmieri

Postby mpalmieri » 07 Apr 2009, 01:20

Hi, reading this thread with great interest. My father's family is from Coreno.

On my grandmother's side, my great great grandmother is Giovanna Stavole. She was married to Raimondo Ruggiero (born 1860). I have been looking for earlier descendants. Raimondo died in Cleveland, Ohio. Giovanna died in Coreno.

On my grandfather's side(Palmieri), my great grandmother is Filomena Lavalle. She was probably born in the 1880s

Maybe there's some connection here. Mike

Bella5

Postby Bella5 » 07 Apr 2009, 04:54

Hello
My father is Domenico Antonio DiTomaso from Casacalenda. His fathers name was Rafale DiTomaso. I know my grandfather had brothers but I don't know their names. I'll ask my dad this weekend and see if I can be of more help

Victoria15

Postby Victoria15 » 15 Apr 2009, 12:23

Hi, my last name is DiTommasso, but I believe the actual spelling is DiTomaso.....my dad's father had a cold when he came over from Italy to NY and they misunderstood what he said but anyway. I was trying to figure out where exactly my grandparents were from. I think it starts with a B and is something like Brutsa.....but I am not sure if Brutsa is right. My grandfathers name was Rocco DiTomaso and he married Assunta Gagliardi. I hope you can help me.

Thanks
Vicky

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 15 Apr 2009, 14:17

Dear Victoria people do not enter the USA by speaking. They enter with documents, usually a passport which contains their proper names. The most common spelling for the name in Italy is Di Tommaso in about 500 cities,towns, and villages thruout Italy. Their are variations in spelling in fewer cities,towns and villages such as Di Tomaso. You can experiemtn with the spellings by goiong to www.gens.labo.net/en/cognomi and in the left hand corner put inthe differengt spelling so you can see how these surnames are distributed thruyout Italy.

I suspect the place your are talking about is ABRUZZO which is a region in central eastern Italy.

I can best assist you by directing you to the website at
www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwisdom/fr ... earch.html

This will enable you to understand not only Italian genealogy but the more refined means to research your family genealogy like going to www.ellisisland.org and trying to locate the proper spelling of your grandfather's name by looking for your grandmothers name....In Italy Italian women retain their single name and only children take on the fathers surname which you already know since you furnished us with her full unmarried name.

Look for their entry into the USA ..it is a lot of fun finding them yourself. =Peter=
~Peter~

Victoria15

Postby Victoria15 » 15 Apr 2009, 14:29

Wow thanks so much. I will have to check them websites. So far the only information I found was their marriage records. They were married in New York. My father was able to tell me his mothers maiden name. Abruzzo must be what I was trying to say, thanks again for your help.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”