Peoria diocese records in Illinois now available

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
adamf
Rookie
Rookie

Peoria diocese records in Illinois now available

Postby adamf » 21 Feb 2009, 03:46

Hi all,

Just wanted to let you know that the Catholic Diocese of Peoria has just hired some archivists. For the past several years, they did not employ an archivist and no church records were available for research.

They are now going through their backlog and taking new order requests. Much of the Peoria diocese includes towns that were hotbeds of immigrant Italian coal mining at the turn of the century, such as Spring Valley, Ladd, Dalzell, Granville, etc.

So for those who have any Italian roots in north central Illinois, this could be a great resource for you. And you can make requests online, and they will email you back jpg files if you so choose. http://www.cdop.org/pages/AArchivesOffice.aspx

Adam

wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Re: Peoria diocese records in Illinois now available

Postby wldspirit » 21 Feb 2009, 07:13

This is great news Adam, all my family is covered by the Peoria diocese!

Sister Marianne was kind enough in the past to do all kinds of look-ups for me, God Bless her, she has an interest in genealogy.....and likes a good mystery!!

Unfortunately, we still can't crack the location of where my Nonno and Nonni married..... :?
wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."

adamf
Rookie
Rookie

Postby adamf » 22 Feb 2009, 00:41

Haha. I have similar roadblocks that I'm hoping the new archivists can help me with. I wonder how much of a backlog they have. It could be awhile before i find anything out.

wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Postby wldspirit » 22 Feb 2009, 01:28

I don't know....she always emailed me results within a day or two....
or in the case of the marriage.....no results..... :P
Half the family swore the marriage took place in Spring Valley and the other half swore it took place in Italy......neither one of those locations have yet to yield any results......one of these days I'll find it.
Lee

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."

Return to “Italian Genealogy”