Don't give up!!!!-- a success story

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
sweethreads

Don't give up!!!!-- a success story

Postby sweethreads » 23 Feb 2009, 13:28

I have been researching my family roots since 2004. I had very little information on my father's mother's family and did not feel optimistic as records of Sarno are among those not transcribed by the LDS church. Two years ago I posted an inquiry on the Ancestry.com community boards which included my grandmother's name, birth info and her parents names.

Two weeks ago, to my delight, I received a response from my father's cousin who still lives in Sarno! Her son, who is also working on a family tree, had been looking on various genealogy sites for the family name and found my post. We've exchanged over a dozen emails (interesting process as I don't speak italian and she doesn't speak English) including many photos. I've been able to add nearly 100 names to my tree, including not only the 5 siblings of my grandmother (I only knew of 2 previously), but also the siblings of my great grandfather and their families.

I guess the point of this post is to encourage you to never give up. You never know what wonderful discovery is just around the corner!

Marie Luigia Bonaduce
Researching:
In Guardiagrele: Scioli, Di Sciascio,
Della Penna, Di Pretoro/
In Terlizzi: Bonaduce, Cipriani/
In Muro Lucano: Bucato, Lombardi/
In Sarno: Verdino, Fiorentino/
Also surnames Mottola & Bruno in Southern Italy

TomG
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Don't give up!!!!-- a success story

Postby TomG » 23 Feb 2009, 14:55

Isn't the internet wonderful! I've had breakthroughs like you. I'm posted on sites all over the web, and every once in a while I get a response that answers all kinds of questions. We found the village in N. Italy that my father's family came from, and it turns out there are lots of cousins there. We'll be visiting in May. A couple of years ago we found the relatives my father lived with as a child, and through her we got pictures of him as a child. We had no pictures at all from his childhood so the pictures are more precious to us than gold.

nuccia
Staff
Staff

Postby nuccia » 23 Feb 2009, 15:29

That's wonderful news! I also had a breakthrough recently. I have been trying to locate the parents of my great great grandfather for over a year and thanks to another member, Riccardo (known as Ricbru here) and his persistence, I finally received the information I so desperately needed. I learned two lessons here..one is to never give up and two is not to be afraid to ask for help if you can't find it alone!

Thanks Riccardo! :)
nuccia - IG Moderator
Gente di Mare
Gente Italian Genealogy Forum
Extractions of various Comuni in Reggio

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 23 Feb 2009, 17:24

fantastic!
this is a true good new!