Funeral picture

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Conti832
Veteran
Veteran

Funeral picture

Postby Conti832 » 23 Feb 2009, 21:48

Just wondering if this could be an Italian thing from the past.I saw a photo of My Grandmother in Her casket on Their front porch when She died in 1937.The family and many others who settled here in Sharpsville Pa who
came from The Pofi,Castro Dei Volsci Area were standing next to Her.

Just thought it was so strange,Don't think you would ever see a photo like that today.Anybody ever see a thing like that before?

Biff83
Master
Master

Re: Funeral picture

Postby Biff83 » 23 Feb 2009, 22:27

I believe it was common for Italian families to have the wake in the home of the deceased rather than at a funeral parlor. In my family, that custom persisted through the late 1950s, and I vividly remember my grandfather's body laying in the living room of his home. I was very upset seeing him in the place where we shared so many memories that I couldn't go back into the room until after the funeral.

Biff
"To dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands"

Italysearcher
Master
Master

Postby Italysearcher » 23 Feb 2009, 22:56

I live in that area and I can tell you that it is still considered the best thing to have the casket at home. There is no Funeral parlour in Sora where I live. It is also the practice to put a ceramic photo of the deceased on the headstone so if there had not been a photo of her alive, it wouldn't be that strange to take one of them in the casket.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.wordpress.com
ANNOYING THE SAINTS - Stories of my Life in Italy. http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-b ... ly/7731505

Conti832
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Conti832 » 24 Feb 2009, 01:55

Thanks so much,it was just something I had never seen before.

Also going to where She and my Grandfather are buried I started looking at many of the old stones from people that came from that area and it's
just sad at how badly many of those headstones have fallen into disrepair.
Some you can no longer read.Some you can only make out names of the towns they were born in like Pofi,Ceccano and Castro Del Volsci .

nuccia
Staff
Staff

Postby nuccia » 24 Feb 2009, 09:28

It's weird that someone post this today..I was just thinking that recently I found a picture of my grandmother in her casket and I was wondering if it was a common practice as well.

I was young enough to get out of going to the funeral when she died (i was 11) but it still felt weird to see her in that picture recently, almost 30 odd years later..
nuccia - IG Moderator
Gente di Mare
Gente Italian Genealogy Forum
Extractions of various Comuni in Reggio

pink67
Master
Master

Postby pink67 » 24 Feb 2009, 10:30

:(
Not only in the casket...
Usually the dead person was placed on its bed... I know this can be very shocking an sure today is not a so common "practice" but I remember very well my grandmother who died on 1994 at her home, she died in her bed and she was placed on her bed to let relatives and friends visit her and us....
My grandfather died in the same house, in the same bed....
I saw many, many people in this way...
Today even if a person dies at home usually is placed in the casket but sometimes (especially in the little villages) people are placed on their bed..
My father in law died two years ago at the hospital. Every hospital as a mortuary were the person can be "watched" and visited by relatives and friends until the funeral mass....
Sorry, it's not a such a "nice" discussion" but all these things are part of our lifes and traditions...
For example, In the house were my grandfather was born I know that in the same room where my granfather and his siblings were born my great.grandparents died, in the same bed...
Laura

pink67
Master
Master

Postby pink67 » 24 Feb 2009, 10:42

I remeber also very well, and it's used today too, when there is a died person in the same room every mirror is covered ...
This is why (I was told from family stories) the mirrors should "capture" the sould of the deceased person and don't let it go....
So I was told, never let a died person be reflected in a mirror....
When my granmother died at home the personnel of the funeral service covered all the mirrors with violet velvets
.... this is an ancient tradition....

nuccia
Staff
Staff

Postby nuccia » 24 Feb 2009, 12:00

Thank you Laura..And you are right. While it may not be the nicest discussion, it is part of Italian tradition. I had also heard about the mirrors before.

When I last saw my grandfather in 1888, I was shown where he would be buried> The headstone already had his name on it and only the death date was left blank. He had all the clothes he would be buried in in a drawer as well (keep in mind he was 93 at the time).

Strange as it was for me, my aunt explained that they needed to prepare and it was common practice for this to be done and that she also had hers ready.

My grandfather died in the hospital 10 months later but because they knew someone in the hospital, they allowed him to go home where he was also placed on his bed..
nuccia - IG Moderator
Gente di Mare
Gente Italian Genealogy Forum
Extractions of various Comuni in Reggio

pink67
Master
Master

Postby pink67 » 24 Feb 2009, 13:11

Oh.... Today is not such a terrible thing but I also remeber that the "old" people thought it was a very bad thing to die in the hospitals..
But sometimes it was necessary to be in the hospital so many people wait until the end and then bring their loved ones at home just one day before they die...
About the clothes.. I remember that also my grandmother did prepare years and years before her death a box with all the clothes she wanted to "wear" when she'll die.... You know? we found also the tights (Black and transparent) and the rosary....
I think I was a teenager when she showed me these things......
I always thanks my parents because they let me and my sisters "live" the death like a part of life and family....
Laura

Sal
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Sal » 24 Feb 2009, 13:26

A little related to these posts, but a bit more morbid, so I apologize in advance if anyone does not care for the description below. I have a photo of my grandfather's brother's funeral. He was killed in a mine explosion in 1906 in Colorado. At the burial site, his open casket is raised about 45 degrees for viewing and the photo. There are about 20 people standing beside it including my grandparents and the deceased's young son. Even the obituaries at that time were a bit graphic. I have transcribed a newspaper article on my site at http://www.trentinoheritage.com/frank.htm

Sal

ursulamezza
Rookie
Rookie

Postby ursulamezza » 24 Feb 2009, 13:30

It is still normal practice in Ireland to have a wake in someone's home, where the deceased is 'laid out' in their coffin and people come and pay their last respects. In fact, many people of an older generation believe it is cold and disrespectful to leave their loved one in a 'strange' place, such as a funeral home. On the subject of photographs, while they were born in Ireland, my father's sisters who died as babies had their photographs taken laid out in their cots before burial. The Italian tradition clearly remained here for a while (that was in the 1940s), but I haven't seen it since.

Conti832
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Conti832 » 24 Feb 2009, 16:05

Glad I posted this and have all these replys.One other thing I found out was the birth year on Her Headstone is wrong as well.

nazca
Elite
Elite

Postby nazca » 25 Feb 2009, 08:57

Hi,

i have a funeral picture, taked at home, of my greatgrandmother died in Chicago may 15 1915. The picture was sended to my grandfather, who lived in Palermo, from his brothers settled in Chicago. For my grandfather, and for anyone had a relatives in America, this picture was the only way to see his mother died in a place so far...

best regards
I'm searching lost relatives and descendant of my greatgrandfather Vincenzo Genualdi (or Gennaldi or Genuardi) and my greatgrandmother Concetta Davola (their sons: Angela, Carmela, Antonio, Bartolomeo, Ernesto, Simone, Riccardo, Maria) went in Chicago,Ill., and New Orleans, in 1880-1920 from Sicily. Other family related : Jacobucci or Jacopucci (from Central Italy).

Return to “Italian Genealogy”