Marriage certificate in New Orleans

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
nazca
Elite
Elite

Marriage certificate in New Orleans

Postby nazca » 28 Feb 2009, 17:30

[align=justify]Good Morning,

on the rear of a picture sended from U.S.A. i have found that my grandfather's brother , Antonio ( Anthony Genualdi) married in St. Louis Cathedral New orleans (see the image attached) . This is for me a surprise : i don't know he married in New Orleans. All the documents i found about Anthony tell me he settled in Chicago (Draft card, Chicago census 1910, death certificate 1911 and so on) . I'm trying to find marriage certificate via ancestry.com and other site but with no luck. :cry:
Wonderful guys of italiangenealogy, can you help me?

Thank in advance.[/align]
Vincenzo
I'm searching lost relatives and descendant of my greatgrandfather Vincenzo Genualdi (or Gennaldi or Genuardi) and my greatgrandmother Concetta Davola (their sons: Angela, Carmela, Antonio, Bartolomeo, Ernesto, Simone, Riccardo, Maria) went in Chicago,Ill., and New Orleans, in 1880-1920 from Sicily. Other family related : Jacobucci or Jacopucci (from Central Italy).

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Marriage certificate in New Orleans

Postby PeterTimber » 28 Feb 2009, 17:35

Go to www.stlouiscathedral.org/tableof.htm for weddings. =Peter=
~Peter~

sazzlynn
Rookie
Rookie

Postby sazzlynn » 02 Mar 2009, 03:10

Hello, You will need to contact the New Orleans Archdiocese Archive for records before 1920. Their website is http://www.archdiocese-no.org/archives/index.htm
Indexes for the records of the New Orleans Archdiocese have been published to the year 1831. Too early for your search.
Does the photo show them at the St Louis Cathedral? Can you post the photo?

Many families entered the US through the port of New Orleans then traveled on to other parts of the country. I did not find a marriage record in Orleans Parish (civil) but I did find in Lafourche Parish (civil):
Anthonio Genauldi (parents: Vincenzo Genauldi and Concetta Fredda) married 28 July 1900, Pasquala Glorioso (parents: Giuseppe Gloriso and Maria Guercia). This couple were married in the Thibodeaux Church and had a child, Vincenzo Genauldi, born 24 June 1901.

nazca
Elite
Elite

Postby nazca » 02 Mar 2009, 20:43

What a wonderful news !!! :D
thanks member sazzlynn ... You have found place and date of marriage of Antonino Genualdi, my greatgrandfather's brother ... The picture don't show them near the church but in a tipical photographer's studio.
I don't know who write that words in the rear of the picture, but i'm happy for what have you found. Great. Vincenzo Genualdi and Concetta Davola-Freda are my greatgranfathers: Vincenzo died (1912) in Palermo my hometown, Concetta died (1915) in Chicago. Where have you found the marriage? It' is possible there is an Anthony's sister, Carmela Genualdi, married in that year in new orleans....

many thanks

Vincenzo
I'm searching lost relatives and descendant of my greatgrandfather Vincenzo Genualdi (or Gennaldi or Genuardi) and my greatgrandmother Concetta Davola (their sons: Angela, Carmela, Antonio, Bartolomeo, Ernesto, Simone, Riccardo, Maria) went in Chicago,Ill., and New Orleans, in 1880-1920 from Sicily. Other family related : Jacobucci or Jacopucci (from Central Italy).

sazzlynn
Rookie
Rookie

Postby sazzlynn » 02 Mar 2009, 21:56

I am not finding Carmela Genualdi's marriage in the Orleans Civil Parish records or the Lafourche Parish Records. I did find Antonino on the 1900 census as Tony Genewaldi, bn 1872, Italy, living in Lafouche, 2nd Ward. He is single (1 month prior to his marriage date), working as a night watchman, emigrated in 1894.

nazca
Elite
Elite

Postby nazca » 04 Mar 2009, 18:25

thank you again sazzlynn,

i knew that census sheet but i'm not sure he was my relatives Antonino. My surname was "deforned" in several ways but know with your help i'm sure he is my grandfather's brothe. I'm still searching his sisters Carmela and Maria but is very hard to find them. I think after the marriage they change theyr surname and i don't know the surname of their husbands. Maria settled in Chicago, Carmela ,maybe, in new orleans at the first time.

have a nice day

nazca
Elite
Elite

Postby nazca » 08 Mar 2009, 18:58

Hi sazzlynn,

i can't find marriage record for Angela Genualdi and Bruno(?) Jacopucci (or Iacopucci or Iacobucci and soon..) in Chicago. i have found death records for each one in Chicago, but i'm thinking they married, maybe, in New Orleans like her brother Antonio. It is possible for you take a look? Angela born 1867 in Italy and Bruno 1855.

thanks a lot.

Vincenzo

sazzlynn
Rookie
Rookie

Postby sazzlynn » 08 Mar 2009, 19:14

I'll see what I can find.
Do you have any idea of the year of emmigration? Have you located them on the US census in Illinois? What years? If so, do they have any children born in Louisiana? Any information you have can help with the search.
You indicated before you thought they would have married in 1900. That would make Angela 33 years old and Bruno 45 years old. Pretty late for a first marriage.

nazca
Elite
Elite

Postby nazca » 08 Mar 2009, 20:56

[align=justify]Hi and thanks for the fast answer.
i found an "Angela Gennaldi" in New Orleans Passenger Lists, 1820-1945(22 nov 1895) when she was 28. I don't know if her was just married or not in Italy : i can't find marriage record in Italy for them. I find Bruno Jacobucci on Cook County, Illinois Death Index, 1908-1988 : he died may 22 1919. Angela died in chicago may 20 1917. I found a Bruno Jacobucci in 1910 United States Federal Census : year of born was correct but residence was Dodge, Wisconsin. I suppose Luigi jacopucci (Iacopucci or Iacobucci) was related (son?) to them because i have a picture with him sended from Chicago to Palermo to my grandfather Carlo Genualdi. [/align]. Ifound this informations on Ancestry and chicagogenealogy...

Thanks for your interest.

Vincenzo

sazzlynn
Rookie
Rookie

Postby sazzlynn » 08 Mar 2009, 22:59

Hi again,
If you look at the Nov 1895 passenger list that included Angela Gennaldi, you will find on the next line she is traveling with a 6 year old child named, Giuseppa Giacobucci. I think this is the more likely spelling for the name Jacobucci. It seems she married in 1888 in Palermo before coming to the USA.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”