Birth of Charles MORRIS, Italy abt.1833

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.

Birth of Charles MORRIS, Italy abt.1833

Postby LesdeB » 01 Mar 2009, 09:19

I'm new to this site, so bear with me if I have made any procedure mistakes.

I'm trying to locate the birth details of Charles MORRIS b.abt 1833 in Italy. He married in Australia in 1860 where he provided the following details;

Name - Charles MORRIS
Born - Italy
Occupation - Miner
Age - 27 years
Father - Andrew MORRIS
Occupation - Farmer
Mother - Mary (no surname given)

Yes, I know the names do not sound very Italian, but that is what is on his Marriage Certificate, so it is presumed they would be correct, as Charles would have supplied this information.

In 1901 Charles MORRIS was naturalized as an Australian Citizen. He gave his age as 67 (b.1834), his occupation as miner, however, his place of birth was given as Austria. I am presuming this was because the border of Italy and Austria changed in the late 1800's due to conflicts(?).

On his Naturalization Certificate he also indicates he arrived in Australia about 44 years previously, aboard the "Sea Witch". The only record I can find of the "Sea Witch" arriving around the mid 1850's was 24/9/1856 when it arrived in Sydney from San Francisco, USA. Charles MORRIS does not appear on the Passenger List, however, there is a Charles THOMAS, and perhaps there was misunderstanding of the surname due to accent or mis-spelling, which was a common problem during this time. The ship coming from San Francisco (California Goldfields?) also ties in with his occupation of being a miner, including being a gold miner at his time of death in 1904. He was buried in the Roman Catholic Section of Rookwood Cemetery, Sydney - no headstone exists.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”