posting your family tree

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
carmine1917
Elite
Elite

posting your family tree

Postby carmine1917 » 01 Mar 2009, 21:17

I want to put my family tree online for non-Americans to find me.

I have learned and heard of relatives going to Brazil, Argentina, Africa. So if I post on tribalpages or another free site, will anyone who does a search outside the US find my tree? Ancestry cost money, so that is out, because anyone who is just surfing, would have to pay to see the tree.

Thanks

eyetalgal
Veteran
Veteran

Re: posting your family tree

Postby eyetalgal » 01 Mar 2009, 21:40

you should be able to upload it to Familysearch.org (LDS).

Sal
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Sal » 03 Mar 2009, 13:38

I have been on tribalpages a few times to visit the family tree info someone posted there. It came out good, but to access the specific family tree, she had to give me a password. I am not sure if all of tribalpages requires passwords to access family trees posted there. You may want to try Rootsweb --- www.rootweb.com . It is owned by Ancestry, but is free to post and for everyone to access the material.

Sal
www.trentinoheritage.com

Eleven
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Eleven » 03 Mar 2009, 17:28

Sal (I hope you come back into this thread since I am about to hijack it) lol

I just took a look at your website. I have been indexing Trento Baptisms, for the FHL to put online, since august. I have been working on them so long, that I feel as if I am related to these names. When I viewed your site, and the surnames, they were all so familiar to me.

It looks to me, like we might be at the tail end of this indexing, as right now, they are giving us baptisms (in latin) from the 16-1700s. Some look like scrap paper with chicken scratch on them.

When the project is done, it will take them an additional couple of months to get them online. Both searching and viewing these documents will be free...so keep an eye out in a few months, for them to appear. Oh, just one thing...on the surname Iob..you might want to search for Job, Tob, etc. I have seen a lot of errors (since I arbitrate for them which is compare the differences of two different peoples work). I have changed the variations to Iob, since I am of Italian decent and knew what it was...but, I dont see every record.

This is the list of what the LDS/FHL is currendly working on to put online:

https://www.familysearchindexing.org/pr ... ojects.jsf

This is where you can search, once it gets out there.

http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsea ... html#start

You might get a message to download macromedia flash. Take it.

Sal
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Sal » 03 Mar 2009, 17:53

Thanks for the reply Eleven. I am aware of the indexing and have been following the progress for a bit. The Trentino Dept of Emigration is also indexing and theirs should also be online this year. You are right about the spelling variations. I have seen Iob, Job, Yob (in the USA), Tob, Gob, etc. The main spellings are Iob and Job (about evenly split in the village of Cunevo. If you want to see strange variations of spellings, take a look at the Ellis Island site !!! I hope to get some missing links when the index does come out (the Trentino indexing is supposed to also contain info about parents, dates, etc).
Thread hijacking is now official :)

Sal
www.trentinoheritage.com

Eleven
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Eleven » 03 Mar 2009, 19:50

Oooh I am glad you came back. BTW I am also in NY, just above westchester county.

These baptisims are a treasure. Many have the grandparents names or at least the grandfather. The priests went back into some and added confirmation dates, marriage and death. Some even include stillborns and babies that were miscarried, some even say at how many months.

No matter how much info you already have, you have got to take a look at these when they finally come out.

I sure do wish they would get my towns, but mine are all in the south and both the fhl and ancestry seem to like the north.

(Maybe they can divide this so we wont be hijacking anymore).

Return to “Italian Genealogy”