Antonio CHIMATO b. circa 1863

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
EmPea

Antonio CHIMATO b. circa 1863

Post by EmPea »

Hi everyone

Please can someone point me in the right direction?

I would like to find out more about Antonio CHIMATO who, we believe, was born in Calabria around 1863. His parents were Filippo and Vincenzia.

He emigrated to South Africa some time before 1878 (he was 15 in 1878). We do not know if he came to South Africa on his own or with family.

Is this too little information to find anything on?

Any help will be appreciated.

EmPea
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Antonio CHIMATO b. circa 1863

Post by PeterTimber »

First the surname is mispelled and most likely is CIMATO (ch in italian is pronounced like english K) and is supported by surname distribution where the Cimato surname is concentrated in southern Calabria and spread north in bits and pieces.

In Italy most records are immediately available in the town of origin....do you know this city,town or village of origin? please advise since this knowledge willl open up all doors back to 1809. =Peter=
~Peter~
EmPea

Post by EmPea »

Hi Peter

Unfortunately, no other information is known although I will go back to the family and see if some other oral history is remembered.

Thank you for your assistance.

EmPea
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Go to www.nonsolocap.it and put in Regione Calabria for entire region of C alabria. The surname distribution favors Catanzaro, Vibo Valentia and Reggio Calabria provinces inthe surname distribution www.gens.labo.net/en/cognomi and put in surname in upper left and click CERCA)

By doing so the family may be triggered to remember what they say they cannot remember! =Peter=
~Peter~
EmPea

Post by EmPea »

Thanks Peter for your assistance. I will do that and see what can be remembered.

EmPea
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

www.gens.labo.net/en/cognomi If Calabria doesn't work try Lombardia which is next concentration inthe far north Italy. =Peter=
~Peter~
MCPiccolo

Post by MCPiccolo »

Hello
My name is Maria Cimato Piccolo. I am the great granddaughter of Domenico Cimato from Gallico Calabria Italy, born May 10, 1871, died Feb 15, 1935as Dominick Cimato in Brooklyn NY. He was a sailor and immigrated to the USA in the very early 1900s. He had a total of 8 children.
Recently I have ordered his death certificate from NY and have learned his parents’ names where
Philip (Filippo) Cimato and Antoinette Morace. Both stayed in Italy.

My family has a story that Domenico’s bother, who name we do not know, went to South Africa as a very young man alone to work. He is said to have worked in the diamond mines and a local bar. He later married and English women and had children. He died in South Africa and she returned to England. Do you think there is a connection? The Fathers name Philip Cimato is the same but the mother is different…I have not been able to find any South African connection.

Does your family know anything else about your Antonio’s extended family in Italy or and connection to Brooklyn NY?

Any information would be appreciated.

Maria
EmPea

Post by EmPea »

Hi Maria

I don't think it is any connection. Unfortunately Antonio died in 1900 at age 37. His children were 4, 2 and 3 months old at the time so no family history about Antonio was ever spoken about. He was married to a South African woman of Afrikaans background and she died in South Africa in 1957.

The only other Cimato I came across in our archives was the immigration documents for the family of an Antonio Cimato who was married to Angela. Their address was Via Circonvallazione Casagiove, Caserta. This was 1956. Angela was accompanied by her children Anna (19) and Francesco (17).

I am quite disappointed....it would have been marvelous to find a connection somewhere. :cry:

Regards
Moira