Miano Family From The Province Of Messina, Sicily

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
ZDPerry

Miano Family From The Province Of Messina, Sicily

Postby ZDPerry » 18 Mar 2009, 14:39

I am researching the Miano family and would appreciate any help that might be given on this family. I had replied to an earlier message concerning an unrelated family from Milazzo as that researcher was looking also looking at Milazzo, but I wanted to start this new message string so that the Miano family research of Messina will be a new subject.

~ ~ ~

My wife's family lives in the Portsmouth, Virginia, USA area. Early newspapers from around 1910 called Portsmouth an "Italian Colony" as many Italians migrated to this coastal port city. Many, if not most, of the Italians in Portsmouth, Virginia have cousins living in New York City or in the State of New Jersey. My wife's family keeps in contact with their cousins in New York City and on Staten Island, remembering the days in the 1930s and 1940s and 1950s and 1960s when these two branches of the Miano family had closer connections with one another.

My wife's great-grandfather, Giuseppi "Joseph" Miano, was born in the mid 1860s in Sicily. He always went by the name Joseph Miano here in America, and even listed his name on his 1885 Marriage Certificate in Portsmouth as Joseph Miano. Joseph's age was listed differently on every document that exists for him, so I tend to doubt any of those dates are absolutely correct. His headstone lists him as being born on July 4th, 1865 - and I wonder whether his yearn to be a "Yankee Doodle Dandy" even caused him to use the date of July 4th as his birthday. Joseph could not have been born on July 4th, 1865, as I have now found proof that his brother in New York City -- Antonino Miano, was born on October 9th, 1865 in Milazzo, Messina.

Joseph Miano indicated on his Marriage Certificate in 1885 in Portsmouth that his parents were Pasquale Miano and Sarah Miano, while on his Death Certificate in 1918 his parents were listed as Joseph Miano and Rosaria Lo Coco. A combination of these two documents gives the correct answer as Joseph was the son of Pasquale Miano and Rosaria Lo Coco -- with proof being the Birth Certificate of Joseph's brother Antonino which was recently found on Mormon microfilms covering the City of Milazzo. Antonino and Joseph maintained a close relationship with one another here in America, even though one lived in New York while the other lived in Virginia. Their families traveled to attend weddings, and funerals, and fun occassions like cooking crabs at the beach in the summer time. Antonino did not travel to America with his wife, Maria Tuzza Miano, until the year 1895 on the SS Werra, so Joseph certainly left Sicily at a much younger age than his brother since he was married in 1885 in Virginia.

I am interested in researching the Miano family of the Province of Messina as this family seems to go back in the history of the Province of Val di Demone (now known as Messina) in the area around Barcellona Pozzo di Gotto. One David Miano (whom I have not yet linked to my wife's family) has presented a superb website recounting his Miano family around the area of Barcellona Pozzo di Gotto at http://davidmiano.net/ancestry/index.htm . I hope that, in time, I might be able to connect with this David Miano's research.

I look forward to sharing research with others with the Miano surname, in particularly from the Province of Messina and specifically from around the north coast of Sicily in the area of Barcellona Pozzo di Gotto.

Ciao,

Zane

ZDPerry

Re: Miano Family From The Province Of Messina, Sicily

Postby ZDPerry » 22 Mar 2009, 14:43

I found the Marriage Certificate for Antonino Miano and Maria Flavia Tuzza in the City of Messina dated 18 February 1893. Antonino was listed as having been born in the City of Milazzo, but was a resident of the City of Messina at the time of the marriage in 1893. Antonino was listed as the son of Pasquale Miano Deceased (so Pasquale had died by 1893) and Rosaria Lo Coco Resident of Messina (so Rosaria Lo Coco had moved to the City of Messina prior to 1893 as well). Maria Flavia Tuzza was listed as having been born in the City of Messina to Nunzio Tuzza Resident of the City of Messina and Gaetana Amato Deceased (so Gaetana had died by 1893). The official who pronounced the marriage in the certificate was Commre. Mrse. di Cassilvile, and the marriage was witnessed by Sebastiano Marino (civile -- translation?) and Antonino Zuco (calzolaio - shoemaker).

Based on the information above, I will now begin looking for the death of Rosaria Lo Coco in Messina after February 1893, and I will begin looking for the death of Pasquale Miano prior to February 1893 in both the City of Messina and in Barcellona Pozzo di Gotto as no death record that I have been able to find exists in Milazzo for Pasquale Miano (although some of the Milazzo records have not yet arrived from the Mormon Church for me to be able to review).

Zane

ZDPerry

Postby ZDPerry » 22 Aug 2011, 23:32

UPDATE

Another brother to Giuseppe "Joseph" Miano and to Antonino Miano has been located. This brother, Pasquale Miano, was murdered in New York City on January 21st, 1909, and (oddly enough) a gravestone exists for this brother Pasquale in Portsmouth, Virginia. A bit of research has revealed that this brother Pasquale was born on March 5th, 1868 in the town of Taormina, and his father (who was also named Pasquale Miano) had died prior to the younger Pasquale's birth (making the father's death sometime between June of 1867 and early March 1868). Based on this information, I was able to find the birth of Giuseppe "Joseph" Miano in the same town (Taormina) on November 30th, 1861 (quite a different date than the "July 4, 1865" date that now incorrectly marks his headstone in Portsmouth, Virginia!), and I was able to locate the marriage record of Pasquale Miano and Rosaria LoCoco in Taormina on January 28th, 1861. Their marriage record indicates that "Don. Pasquale Miano" was the son of "Don. Giuseppe Miano" (born approx 1817) and "Donn. Concetta Bonfiglio" (born approx 1815) of the town of Fiumedinisi in the Province of Messina, while Rosaria LoCoco was born in Taormina to a tailor named Antonino LoCoco (born in Piedimonte Etneo in the Province of Catania) and his wife, Carmela Gregorio (born in the town of Savoca in the Province of Messina). I am currently researching the Miano family of Fiumedinisi for further information.

Sincerely,

Zane D. Perry, Virginia Beach, VA

ZDPerry

Miano Family From Fiumedinisi, Messina, Sicily

Postby ZDPerry » 27 Sep 2011, 03:22

As an update to the message above, Pasquale Miano (Born 1868 in Taormina, died 1909 in New York City) was first buried in Calvary Cemetery in New York City just one day following his murder. The New York City death certificate arrived for this Pasquale Miano, and while Calvary Cemetery was listed as his place of burial, the certificate indicates that two years later in 1911 he was removed to Portsmouth (Virginia). So, the headstone in Portsmouth, Virginia actually rests above the remains of this Pasquale Miano!

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 27 Sep 2011, 20:43

Great researching, Zane!

And a very interesting story of your family :-)

is there something here at the forum that we can assist you with?

T.

ZDPerry

Postby ZDPerry » 28 Sep 2011, 01:44

Thank you, Tessa. Yes, there is certainly something you can assist me with. Would you please educate me about records that would be available for the Comune di Fiumedinisi in the Province of Messina prior to the 1820 civil records (which I have already ordered and reviewed)? Do records of land transactions exist there in Sicily (much like the property records found in America in the Clerk of Courts offices at the county courthouses)? Do records of births and marriages and deaths exist anywhere? If they exist in the parish records, how do I go about requesting these? How much do copies cost from Parishes (or is it "pay by your heart")? I have ordered census records (Riveli) for Fiumedinisi for the period of the late 1500s to 1811 as well, but I do not know what to expect to find on those records -- are land values indicated, or nothing other that just a name indicated on the Riveli?

Thank you for your assistance!

Sincerely,

Zane D. Perry, Virginia Beach, Virginia

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 28 Sep 2011, 03:31

Hello Zane :-)

I can't speak for civil registrations before 1820. Maybe someone else here at the forum can address that...

As for parish records -
Here is some background on Italian Catholic Church Records
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... cords.html
Information on how to find a parish church
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... tml#bishop
Letter to parish priest to request records...
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... rishpriest

The Parish Church in Fiumedinisi is
Parrocchia Maria Ss. Annunziata
Piazza S. Pietro
98022 Fiumedinisi (ME)
Italy

Information about Riveli Records and what they contain
https://wiki.familysearch.org/en/Italy_ ... li_Records
Another resource...
http://www.ricercagenealogica.it/riveli ... ia2_en.htm

I'm sure other forum volunteers will jump in to help with your inquiries :-D

T.