Messina Family

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
tonij16102
Veteran
Veteran

Messina Family

Postby tonij16102 » 21 Mar 2009, 19:56

I am wanting to trace my grandmother's side of the family and the last name is Messina. Here is the problem I know that they were in New York in Brooklyn, New York on Mulberry Street I found this on the 1900 Census. They left New York and settled in Hillsville, Pennsylvania when my great-grandfather Vincenzo Messina was killed in a quarry accident in 1904 before Vital Statics was started.

I had found a delayed Birth Certificate for on of their sons saying they were from Santo Petito Sannilago. problem is all of these villages in Italy have the same names and I'm not sure if they really did come from there at all. I had found a Death Certificate for my great-grandmother Concetta Messina. All they had on it was that her fathers name was Marshall Palmeri or Palmerio. So I have no idea where to begin to look for this family. Any suggestions?

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Messina Family

Postby PeterTimber » 21 Mar 2009, 20:15

I believe the town is San Potito Sannitico If so go to www.nonsolocap.it and type inthe name and click Cerca when the next page comes up you will see the Cap (zip code) the name San Potito Ultra , CE (province of Caserta) and Campania (the Region).

Click on the name San Potito Sannitico and a web page of the town will come up. Scroll down to MUNICIPIO and that is the address for writing to the Uffico di Stato Civile for the documents you may wish. The service is free of charge.

Since requests have to be made in Italian go to this website:
www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwisdom/it ... tters.html

=Peter=
~Peter~

tonij16102
Veteran
Veteran

Postby tonij16102 » 21 Mar 2009, 20:20

Thank-you for the quick response. My only living Aunt told me that all she knew was they were suppose be to Casertans being that my grandmother spoke the same dialect that my grandfather DiBernardo did. I don't know if there was a mystery surrounding this family as no one knows or says to much about this family. I am just hoping to be able to track them down. Thanks again, Toni

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 21 Mar 2009, 21:14

the name town seeming: San Potito Sannitico.....
in this town are Messina and Palmieri surnames...
I found this record:

Cognome
PALMIERI

Nome
CONCETTA

Professione
NONE

Istruzione
U

Luogo di origine
S.POTITO

Destinazione
NY

Visto
Emigrante

Classe
Ponte

Porto d'imbarco
NAPLES

Nave
BRITTANIA

Data d'arrivo
12/23/1889

here the probable marriage:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Concetta Palmieri Pedigree
Female Family

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Event(s):
Birth: , , Italy

Christening:
Death:
Burial:

Parents:
Father: Marcilino (Marcellino)
Mother: Carmela Misara (?)

Marriages:
Spouse: Vincenzo Misina (Messina)
Marriage: 28 DEC 1889 Manhattan, New York, New York

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Vincenzo Misina (Messina)
Male

Event(s):
Birth: , , Italy

Christening:
Death:
Burial:

Parents:
Father: Guisippe (Giuseppe)
Mother: Maria Guiseppa Bienche (Bianchi??)

Marriages:
Spouse: Concetta Palmieri
Marriage: 28 DEC 1889 Manhattan, New York, New York

just my suggestion....
best regards,
suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

tonij16102
Veteran
Veteran

Postby tonij16102 » 21 Mar 2009, 21:37

Hi suanj

May I ask where you got this info from? Looking at Concetta father's name this could be them. Mu grandmother wasn't born until 1894. Is there a site to look up where and when they actually came to America? Thank-you Toni

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 21 Mar 2009, 21:43

the immigration record is by Fondazione Agnelli website http://213.212.128.168/radici/ie/defaultie.htm
and the marriage record by familysearch website International Genealogical Index Batch No.: M006244

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/ ... search.asp
Marcellino Palmieri, if is right Marcellino
was born in 1838:

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.anc ... o/i31.html
Palmiero Marcellinus birth 18 Jun 1838 baptism 19 Jun 1838 son of Josepho ( Giuseppe) and Maria Grazia D' Orsi
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

tonij16102
Veteran
Veteran

Postby tonij16102 » 21 Mar 2009, 22:03

Hi again suanj,
I can't even begin to thank-you enough for this information. When I started tracing my grandfather DiBernardo's family from Camigliano, Caerta, Italy I didn't have a problem not knowing wher to look for him. But not knowing anything about my grandmother's side other than knowing they lived in Brooklyn, NY on Mulberry Street and then finding them back in Hillsville, Pa through the census was all of the info I had. Thank-you so much for helping.
Toni

Return to “Italian Genealogy”