Help finding family in the old world

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
ChrisCovington

Help finding family in the old world

Postby ChrisCovington » 24 Mar 2009, 03:49

Hello all,

I've been reading some posts and this forum is a wealth of information and tons of people willing to help! I'm hoping someone might have some leads for a few of my Italian family members. I think I've tapped out Ancestory.com since I can only seem to find US records there.

The first ancestor I am looking up is Samuel Cangelosi my great grandfather. I've noticed there were a lot of Cangelosis in the LA and MS area. Samuel was born in Mississippi on Aug 9, 1905. I have no idea who my GG Grandparents were. When Samuel was very young they moved back to Cefalu where he was raised. At some point before 1930 he moved back state side to Baltimore, MD and ran a fruit distribution and retail business. When I found out he was born in the US I did a double take. When I was young I remember he spoke to my great grandmother in Italian and he had a very thick accent. Any ideas where I could find out who his parents were to start researching them?

The other Italian ancestors I'm looking for information on are Samuel's wife Fortuna's parents. Fortuna, my great grandmother, was born here in the US and I have some good info about her and I remember her well (the woman could cook!). Fortuna's father was named Damiano Matassa. He was born Jan 22, 1877. He moved to the US in 1899 and he died around Dec of 1970 back in Italy (Cefalu maybe?). He was a naturalized citizen of the US on May 4, 1907 and he made at least two trips back to Italy before retiring there one in 1925 and another in 1949. In 1903 he married Salvatrice Piazza, the other family member I am researching.

Salvatrive Piazza was born Dec 13, 1883 in Cefalu (maybe?). She arrived in New York, NY around Aug 26, 1897 and departed from Palermo, Italy. She died some time around 1866.

Any help would be most welcome!

Best regards,

Chris Covington

StarV579
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Help finding family in the old world

Postby StarV579 » 24 Mar 2009, 08:52

Chris, I am new here also. Everyone here has been so helpful. I have absolutely exhausted my resources looking for my family surname of Veltre. The way that I understand it is that a lot of the Italian records are not avaliable online. You can click search under this forum and type in Veltre.. you will see a lot of the advice I was given. Trust me, ancestry.com can be a dead end with this kind of research.

One thing you can do is find the instructions (with in the replies of my posts for veltre) about looking up LDS (latter day saints) microfilm. You can actually rent the microfilm and view it at a LDS library near you. They have many.

One of the biggest things that helped me is getting details from my family. This is a personal thing traced back for generations and no one can tell you the stories and personal information like a family member.

I was going through a pile of papers and found like a 8 year old piece of paper that had the address to my ggrandfathers sister, who is still alive in Italy.

Another option, is to write the town in italy that your family was from including names and birth dates.

I am sorry I cannot help you more. Just wanted you to know that there are ways of getting these answers and to not waste too much time on ancestry.com (like me!)

good luck
star

elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby elba » 24 Mar 2009, 09:27

I found this 'Sam' in a family tree on Ancestry, it gives his parents name too, and they're from Cefalu.
There are several Cangelosi Family Trees on Ancestry. Might be well worth a look. This one looked intereesting because of the first name...

Sam Cangelosi
Birth Nascita: 10 Feb 1872
Cefalu, Italy
Death Decesso: 8 Dec 1948
Baton Rouge, East Baton Rouge Parish, LA

Parents Genitori
Rosario C CANGELOSI 1830 –
Rosalie Saia

1888 Età: 16 Arrived Arrivo

1920 Età: 48
Residenza Baton Rouge Ward 2, East Baton Rouge, Louisiana

Baton Rouge Ward 2, East Baton Rouge, Louisiana

8 Dic
Morte

Baton Rouge, East Baton Rouge Parish, LA
If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"

ursulamezza
Rookie
Rookie

Postby ursulamezza » 24 Mar 2009, 11:01

Hi Chris

The name Matassa is associated with Casalattico, Frosinone, which is where my family is from, and many of the people from the villages in the area emigrated in the late 1890s which would fit with when your GGGrandfather left for the States. LDS microfilm is available for the area and it might be worth having a look to see if you can trace that side of your family.

vj
Master
Master

Postby vj » 24 Mar 2009, 13:30

ChrisCovington wrote:The first ancestor I am looking up is Samuel Cangelosi my great grandfather. I've noticed there were a lot of Cangelosis in the LA and MS area. Samuel was born in Mississippi on Aug 9, 1905. I have no idea who my GG Grandparents were. When Samuel was very young they moved back to Cefalu where he was raised. At some point before 1930 he moved back state side to Baltimore, MD and ran a fruit distribution and retail business. When I found out he was born in the US I did a double take. When I was young I remember he spoke to my great grandmother in Italian and he had a very thick accent. Any ideas where I could find out who his parents were to start researching them?

Hello Chris!
The quickest way to confirm Samuel’s parents' names may be to order his Social Security Application
I ordered one a few weeks ago for $27 - it took about 2 weeks
Valarie

Name: Samuel Cangelosi
SSN: 215-22-xxxx
Last Residence:
21218 Baltimore, Baltimore City, Maryland
Born: 9 Aug 1905
Died: 2 May 1988
State (Year) SSN issued: Maryland (Before 1951)
---

Social Security Application SS-5

About the SS Application:
http://genealogy.about.com/od/online_re ... equest.htm

The SS-5, or Application for Social Security Number is a great resource for learning more about individuals who died after about 1960, and generally includes the following:
Full name
Full name at birth, including maiden name
Present mailing address
Age at last birthday
Date of birth
Place of birth (city, county, State)
Father's full name
Mother's full name, including maiden name
Sex
Race as indicated by the applicant
Whether the applicant ever applied for Social Security or Railroad Retirement before
Current employer's name and address
Date signed
Applicant's signature

Order form SSA-711 (can be done online):
http://www.ssa.gov/foia/html/foia_guide.htm

ChrisCovington

Postby ChrisCovington » 26 Mar 2009, 03:07

Hello all,

Thank you for the hints and tips. I will try and see what I get.

Best regards,

Chris Covington

Return to “Italian Genealogy”