National Archives

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
ItalianLori
Rookie
Rookie

National Archives

Postby ItalianLori » 29 Mar 2009, 20:55

http://www.archives.gov/genealogy/

This may be old news for many, but I researched my family name on the NARA genealogical page and found some early arrivals of ancestors that were not on Ellis Island/Castle Garden
websites. The name, occupation, age, destination and departure port and manifest reference number were posted. For some trying to fill in some blanks, it may be worth a try. I also found that replacing vowels with consonants in last names sometimes brings up relatives due to transcription errors.

Lori

ChrisMosca
Elite
Elite

Re: National Archives

Postby ChrisMosca » 29 Mar 2009, 23:18

thanks Italian Lori!!!!!
Looking for the surnames Mosca( Marches ), Pizzoglio (Piedmonte), Chiacchiera, Lobasso(Bari), Gallo(Malvito), Azzolina (Messina).

Eleven
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Eleven » 30 Mar 2009, 03:29

Where exactly are you putting the name in? It says they have no records online and I dont see a surname search (unless I am misunderstanding what you mean).

ItalianLori
Rookie
Rookie

Postby ItalianLori » 30 Mar 2009, 19:18

If you click on the line," What you can do on this website", in the upper left-hand corner, it will list the records that are on line. It also indicates that the Archives have a subscription to Ancestry, HeritageQuest and other links. Some have to be accessed from the archive location, (NY, Philadelphia, DC). There is also a list of resources, tutorials, etc. for beginniers or those who are having difficulties with certain records.

Hope this helps.

Lori

Return to “Italian Genealogy”