Sirato/Schirato/Schiratto

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
FH

Sirato/Schirato/Schiratto

Post by FH »

My great great grandmother was Mitzi Hollinger, born Schirato. She lived most of her life in the Banat Region, now Serbia. The rumour goes that she came from Rijeka from a wealthy family. All I have is a hand written text on the back of a photo and I spell it as "Mitzi Schirato"...

Any one familiar with that family name? Is it Italian?
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Sirato/Schirato/Schiratto

Post by suanj »

FH wrote:My great great grandmother was Mitzi Hollinger, born Schirato. She lived most of her life in the Banat Region, now Serbia. The rumour goes that she came from Rijeka from a wealthy family. All I have is a hand written text on the back of a photo and I spell it as "Mitzi Schirato"...

Hi:
Schirato is exact spelling this surname.
Yes it is italian, coming from Veneto region but little diffusion also in other italian region. The first name your mother it makes to think to Trentino Alto Adige region(Tyrol area) near Serbia... sure is a first name inspired from theatre's work "La contessina Mitzi"-of 1908 by Arthur Schnitzler autor from Vienna-Austria. Regards, suanj
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

send an e-mail to banjelacic@worldnet.att.net and ask For information you wish. This gentlemen is a geneaoglical fountain iof knowledge about croatia and, presumably the Banat region as well. His name is Jerin. Peter
FH

Post by FH »

ptimber wrote:send an e-mail to banjelacic@worldnet.att.net and ask For information you wish. This gentlemen is a geneaoglical fountain iof knowledge about croatia and, presumably the Banat region as well. His name is Jerin. Peter
Thanx a lot! Frank
FH

Re: Sirato/Schirato/Schiratto

Post by FH »

suanj wrote:
FH wrote:My great great grandmother was Mitzi Hollinger, born Schirato. She lived most of her life in the Banat Region, now Serbia. The rumour goes that she came from Rijeka from a wealthy family. All I have is a hand written text on the back of a photo and I spell it as "Mitzi Schirato"...

Hi:
Schirato is exact spelling this surname.
Yes it is italian, coming from Veneto region but little diffusion also in other italian region. The first name your mother it makes to think to Trentino Alto Adige region(Tyrol area) near Serbia... sure is a first name inspired from theatre's work "La contessina Mitzi"-of 1908 by Arthur Schnitzler autor from Vienna-Austria. Regards, suanj
Thanx a lot!
Mitzi is - to my humble knowledge - a German nick name for Maria as it should be written on the birth certificate. Can any one confirm this?
The family was German speaking and therefore she was perhaps nick named Mitzi.
Frank
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi: Mitzi= italian name MARZIA= coming from Martius= dedicated to god Mars(mythology )... the name originates is Marcia, like Catone's wife, but it was Dante Alighieri poet that changed Marcia's name in Marzia. Martius was also the name of month of March. In shape Mitzi is German name...not Mary, but Marzia ..regards, suanj
FH

Post by FH »

ptimber wrote:send an e-mail to banjelacic@worldnet.att.net and ask For information you wish. This gentlemen is a geneaoglical fountain iof knowledge about croatia and, presumably the Banat region as well. His name is Jerin. Peter
His mail adress can no longer be reached. Do you have other info? Thanks. Frank
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Genealogical research for about 3000 family names originating from Rijeka among others. www.geocities.com/paris/cathedral/7835/index.html.

Also go to www.google.com and just type in surname followed by genealogy and you may find others who have information you are seeking.

Please let me know how you make out. Peter
FH

Post by FH »

ptimber wrote:Genealogical research for about 3000 family names originating from Rijeka among others. www.geocities.com/paris/cathedral/7835/index.html.

Also go to www.google.com and just type in surname followed by genealogy and you may find others who have information you are seeking.

Please let me know how you make out. Peter
Link is outdated in some way. Frank
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

I asume the www.google.com website is functioning correctly?Have you gone thru the Schirato surname check under the www.family serach .org website at the ancestior search link which shows a Francesco schirato from treviso and others in Brazil and the USA. Peter
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi Frank: please visite this website very interesting for search:

http://www.geneanet.org/

regards, suanj
FH

Post by FH »

suanj wrote:Hi Frank: please visite this website very interesting for search:

http://www.geneanet.org/

regards, suanj
Thanks, I will look into that right away! Frank
FH

Post by FH »

ptimber wrote:I asume the www.google.com website is functioning correctly?Have you gone thru the Schirato surname check under the www.family serach .org website at the ancestior search link which shows a Francesco schirato from treviso and others in Brazil and the USA. Peter
The link refer to a site that is no longer. Do you have another link?

Found 179 persons in the Italian telephone directory - that is a way to start research among living Schiratos in Iltay! Most in the Veneto Region.

Frank
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

when you went to the www.google.com website did you put in SCHIRATO-GENEALOGY in the title?? There are 118 refrences rto Schirato. Peter