Adoption/Orphanage

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
chelli11

Adoption/Orphanage

Postby chelli11 » 13 Apr 2009, 21:24

My great great grandfather is said to have grown up in an orphanage in Treviso. He was born in 1882 and immigrated to Canada in 1912 (back and forth Canada - Italy until 1923). I wrote the stato civile of the comune where his children were born and received extracts for his sons, his marriage, his wife and her parents, but nothing about him, except that he was born in Treviso.
Is all lost? Did orphanages keep records back then? Is his surname that of his father or was it given to him?

Has anyone else encountered this dilemma in their research before?

sal4
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Adoption/Orphanage

Postby sal4 » 07 May 2009, 21:27

Hi.......I just found out that my Grandmother was found by a woman and that she was a foundling .........I'm about to go to the LDS location and order the micro films for the yr that she was born to see if I can find out who raised her....It is the best place to start looking.......Good Luck....Sal4
Looking for surnames Iasalvatore (Salvatore), Tartaglia, Rosetta, Consola, Di Muccio, Castellano, Montanaro, Dipaolo, Costa, Sansone, Giudicianni and Laudato.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”