Assistance to find family Surname Berti or Bertoli

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
yrowell

Assistance to find family Surname Berti or Bertoli

Postby yrowell » 21 Apr 2009, 06:20

For some time now I have been looking for my grandfathers family, he was born in Trieste on the 5th March 1854 His name was either Joseph or Josephus Josepee Berti or Bertoli it states on his naturalisation papers from Australia born Trieste in the province of Lombardy. He was a seaman and somehow got to Boston Massechutis and from there travelled on the Formosa as a crew member. The Formosa arrived in Australia (Melbourne) in 1874 . Joseph stayed in Melbourne for 2 years and then went to Orange. Joseph applied to be naturalised in Australia in 1910 when he used the name Joseph Bertie. Our family stories if correct tell of Joseph leaving Trieste as he wanted to marry beneath his station and sailed on a ship to America his family was said to be shipmen or in olive oil As a child I was always told I was Italian and we added a E to the name in Australia. I am a keen family history person but am unable to find our Italian connection Any assistance would be greatly appreciated as I have been searching for years Thankyou yrowell

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Assistance to find family Surname Berti or Bertoli

Postby PeterTimber » 21 Apr 2009, 14:05

Send an e-mail to the Ufficio di Stato Civile in Trieste at ARCHIVIOSTATOCIVILE@COMUNE.TRIESTE.IT and request a copy of his birth record furnishing both spellings. Since he was born in 1854, Trieste may have been under the control of Austria or Italy.

In the evnt that you wish to write (In Italian) go to www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwisdom/it ... tters.html for form letter to make your request.

The address is Ufficio Di Stato Civile,Passo Constanzi 2, Piano 11, Trieste, 34100, (TS), Friuli-Venezia-Giulia region, Italy. The service is free.

=Peter=
~Peter~

yrowell

Postby yrowell » 23 Apr 2009, 06:30

Thankyou Peter I will try what you have suggested

carinthiangirl
Veteran
Veteran

Postby carinthiangirl » 25 Apr 2009, 21:34

Triest was "austrian" from 1382 to 1918 (under Habsburger-rule) and the important habour of the empire and capital of the crownland Küstenland.
"Trieste flourished as part of Austria, from 1382 (the Austro-Hungarian Empire from 1867) until 1918 when it was one of the few seaports in what was one of the Great Powers of Europe. "
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trieste

think the files more at roman.cath.discese-archive to find as was usual only that way in old times. there were no civile files:
@diocesi.trieste.it < write archivio before the @ :o)
http://www.webdiocesi.chiesacattolica.i ... iocesi=210

at www.ihff.at is written that most of the files are at the parishes (churches), some are microfilmed and at archives at Trieste, Venezia and Goricia, so best to ask about e-mail if files at the archive or not.
"Die Matriken der norditalienischen Provinzen (in erster Linie Venetien und die Lombardei) liegen in den Pfarreien, sind jedoch teilweise mikroverfilmt und liegen in den Archiven in Triest, Venedig, Görtz sowie Mailand auf und können dort nach vorheriger Anmeldung eingesehen werden. Es empfiehlt sich vorher eine schriftliche Anfrage an das Archiv zu richten, ob die Matriken im Archiv liegen, und sich gleichzeitig nach den aktuellen Öffnungszeiten zu erkundigen. Forschungen werden nicht durchgeführt."

yrowell

Postby yrowell » 26 Apr 2009, 05:47

Thankyou all for your continued assistance
Yvonne

Return to “Italian Genealogy”