Vital records

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
pollyfan

Vital records

Post by pollyfan »

Don't know if this is the right forum for this question??

Is there a comprehensive list somewhere of what Italian vital records are available online?

I have a membership with www.ancestry.com so I have access to whatever they have.
I know about this site (obviously :wink: ) and www.Italiangen.org and www.sicilianfamilytree.com
And in the US I know www.ellisisland.org and the somewhat easier www.jewishgen.org

Any other useful places you've found? I'm most interested in Palermo, Sicily . . .
nazca
Elite
Elite

Re: Vital records

Post by nazca »

Hi and welcome to the forum,
a very interesting link for palermo is :
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.anc ... index8.htm

created by a member where you can find palermo marriage index from 1820 to 1895.
what informations you search in Palermo?

have a nice day

Vincenzo
I'm searching lost relatives and descendant of my greatgrandfather Vincenzo Genualdi (or Gennaldi or Genuardi) and my greatgrandmother Concetta Davola (their sons: Angela, Carmela, Antonio, Bartolomeo, Ernesto, Simone, Riccardo, Maria) went in Chicago,Ill., and New Orleans, in 1880-1920 from Sicily. Other family related : Jacobucci or Jacopucci (from Central Italy).
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

There is an interesting website on the glossary of Palermo dialect words which can be refreshing since you expressed a keeninterest in Palermo. Go to www.grifasi-sicilia.com/terminipalermitani.htm =Peter=
~Peter~
pollyfan

Post by pollyfan »

Thank you! That is a useful site.

I'm looking for a family of Di Siena who came to US in 1898 from Palermo--of course, it might not have been the city :-(

John (Giovanni) Di Siena b 1860 probably m. 1883
Francesca (wife) b. 1863
Rosalia b. 1890
Joseph (Giuseppe) b. 1892
Josephine (Giuseppa or Giuseppina) b. 1897
They had other children who died
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Pollyfan you did not clearly explain what you mean by "came from Palermo"?? under what column in the ships manifest are you referring to? Usually the town of origin is the town appearing onthe ships manifest so why the doubt??=Peter=
~Peter~
pollyfan

Post by pollyfan »

Good question! I have not yet been able to find the correct ship's manifest. The info I have comes from US census records, and from Joseph DiSiena's WWI draft record where he gives his place of birth as Palermo, Palermo, Sicily
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

so why do you presume he was not born in palermo?? I am confused?=Peter=
~Peter~
pollyfan

Post by pollyfan »

I'm not presuming he was not born in Palermo city, just saying he might have been born elsewhere in Palermo. I haven't found any marriage record for his parents in Palermo city records--though I know that doesn't mean he wasn't born there.

However, I haven't as yet been able to find birth records for Palermo city . . . that's what I'm looking for.