Family Nicosia

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
deesand

Family Nicosia

Postby deesand » 28 Apr 2009, 02:15

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to trace the place my Grandfather lived in, and hope someone can help. The details I have are unconfirmed and may be inaccurate.
This is what I have:
GreatGrandfather: Nicolo Nicosia had 3 brothers, Carmelo, Paolo and Guiseppe, plus 1 sister, name unknown. He married Giovanna Cacopardo and they had 2 sons, Gaspare born in Messina 1891 or 1892, and Salvatore born in Milan 1892 or 1893.
Nicolo, Giovanna and sons Gaspare and Salvatore emigrated to South Africa and arrived at Cape Town on the Braemar Castle in 1903. The 2 sons were sent back to Italy to fight in WW1, but Salvatore got off the ship in Australia (SS Hampton) and in 1913 became a naturalized Australian. Gaspare carried on to Italy and fought in the war.
Gaspare married Alessandrina Tessiere in Susa, Milan and they came to South Africa aboard the Guildford Castle in 1920.
SandeeC

pink67
Master
Master

Re: Family Nicosia

Postby pink67 » 28 Apr 2009, 06:44

Hi Sandee :D

Salvatore Nicosia was born in Milan on December 7, 1892.

I found these dates on his naturalization papers on.line on this site:
http://www.naa.gov.au/collection/record ... index.aspx

He also stated he arrived in Australia from East Africa on March 1909 per the SS Hampton.

Hope this helps

Laura

deesand

Re: Family Nicosia

Postby deesand » 28 Apr 2009, 21:29

Many thanks, Laura. I came across the naturalistion papers a while ago, but my main interest is in knowing what town in Messina the family came from so that I can find dates of birth, etc.

I really appreciate your efforts.

Kind regards,
Sandee
SandeeC

Return to “Italian Genealogy”