surname

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Twiggie

surname

Postby Twiggie » 30 Apr 2009, 20:01

Maria delli Carpini, is delli a part of the surname? Where does it come from?

Thanks,
Twiggie

JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Re: surname

Postby JohnArmellino » 30 Apr 2009, 21:04

Yes, "delli" is considered part of the surname. However, it depends on the context in which it's used. For example, "Giuseppe delli Cameli" can be a person's name or, in a different context, it might mean "Giuseppe of the town of Cameli". Many Italian surnames have geographical roots, the most famous probably being Leonardo da Vinci. In this case, delli Carpini might be a reference to the comune of Carpino (Foggia) or the frazioni of Carpini, one being part of the comune of Filiano (Potenza) and the other part of the comune of Montone (Perugia).
John Armellino

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 30 Apr 2009, 23:38

+Dear Twiggie I suspect there is a grammatical error in the use of the word Delli in the Delli Carpini surname as it would normally be read as Dei Carpini meaning "of the carpini". Delli is incorrect as a contraction "of the" and "from the" usually seen as del dell' della, degli,dal dalla dallo etc.

The surname Carpini is a variant of the base surname Carpi and found often in the Genova, Modena and Verona areas of northern Italy. =Peter=
~Peter~

JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Postby JohnArmellino » 01 May 2009, 02:14

Where does it come from?

Geographically? The surname delli Carpini is found in 44 different towns in Italy, mostly concentrated in or near the province of Isernia, Region of Molise. For a distribution map, go to http://www.gens.labo.net/ and type in "delli Carpini" where it asks for "cognome". The largest concentration in Isernia appears to be in the town of Monteroduni.
John Armellino

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 01 May 2009, 13:09

The surname is apparently local in origin as John indicated and the use of the prefix delli maybe researched for a possible significance or it may be lost in the mists of time. =Peter=
~Peter~

Twiggie

Postby Twiggie » 01 May 2009, 15:17

Thanks for everyones help! The family is from Gallo Matese, Caserta, Campania. On the records it is spelled delli. Thanks for the replys and all the help. I'm sure I will be asking more questions. It is great to have this website to help me figure this all out.

liviomoreno
Master
Master

Postby liviomoreno » 01 May 2009, 15:48

PeterTimber wrote:+Dear Twiggie I suspect there is a grammatical error in the use of the word Delli in the Delli Carpini surname as it would normally be read as Dei Carpini meaning "of the carpini"...

It is not a grammatical error. "delli" is old Italian, and, as Peter pointed out, means "dei". There are many Italian surnames starting with "delli".

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 01 May 2009, 18:06

Thanks for the info. Your right about old Italian since it shows up inthe 16th century renaissance surnames. =Peter=
~Peter~

Return to “Italian Genealogy”