Alla ricerca di Maria De Vincenzi

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
nfig1
Rookie
Rookie

Alla ricerca di Maria De Vincenzi

Post by nfig1 »

Apparently this last name is common in Liguria, particularly in La Spezia and Genoa; however, I have not been able to locate the birth record in Liguria. Is there any other region where this last name might have a good chance of being found? She was born in 1868 by the way. Grazie a tutti.
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Re: Alla ricerca di Maria De Vincenzi

Post by liviomoreno »

De Vincenzi is spread all over Italy with 500 entries in the white pages. You need to find out the place of birth from some documents.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

nfig1 wrote:Apparently this last name is common in Liguria, particularly in La Spezia and Genoa; however, I have not been able to locate the birth record in Liguria. Is there any other region where this last name might have a good chance of being found? She was born in 1868 by the way. Grazie a tutti.
if you can provide more detail abt Maria( parent's names, when emigrated, where lived in USA etc) maybe we can help...
regards,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

if Maria emigrated in USA, here a immigration record...
New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957 about Maria Devincenzi
Name: Maria Devincenzi
Arrival Date: 17 Jun 1889
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1869
Port of Departure: Le Havre, France
Destination: New York
Place of Origin: Italy
Ethnicity/Race¬/Nationality: Italian
Ship Name: La Normandie
Search Ship Database: Search the La Normandie in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database

Port of Arrival: New York
Line: 41
Microfilm Serial: M237
Microfilm Roll: M237_534
List Number: 797
Port Arrival State: New York
Port Arrival Country: United States
it could be?
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
nfig1
Rookie
Rookie

Post by nfig1 »

suanj wrote:
nfig1 wrote:Apparently this last name is common in Liguria, particularly in La Spezia and Genoa; however, I have not been able to locate the birth record in Liguria. Is there any other region where this last name might have a good chance of being found? She was born in 1868 by the way. Grazie a tutti.
if you can provide more detail abt Maria( parent's names, when emigrated, where lived in USA etc) maybe we can help...
regards,
suanj
My GGGM, Maria, emigrated in 1885 (according to US census) to San Francisco, CA, where she lived until about 1890. Then she moved across the bay to Oakland, where she lived until her death on Aug 16, 1912. According to her death certificate, she was born on May 16, 1868. Her father's name was Bartolomeo De Vincenzi (Devincenzi). Her death certificate does not give the town of birth. I have also seen her name written as Maddalena; perhaps this is a middle name. On her death certificate it reads Maria. A possible ship manifest from 1885 lists her as Maddalena. My GGGF's death certificate also lists her as Maddalena, so I really don't know if her name was Maddalena or Maria. http://img161.imageshack.us/img161/3649/1885devwj8.jpg
Mother's name is possibly Teresa. Possibly related 1900 census listing Maria/Maddalena's brothers and Teresa, living in S.F.: http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/5813/1900devgz7.jpg

The rest of my Italian ancestors have all come from Liguria, and it turns out that the surname, De Vincenzi/Devincenzi, although seen throughout Italy, is particularly common in Liguria, most notably in the comune of Varese Ligure (La Spezia), which is where her husband (my GGGF) is from as well (although they apparently married in the USA in 1886). Based on this data, Varese Ligure/La Spezia would be the first place to look. I ultimately need a copy of her birth certificate to satisfy the US Italian consulate, although I've heard only certificates from the "Italian" line are required by Italy itself.

Death certificate of her husband gives "Maddalena" as wife's name;
Probable ship manifest lists "Maddalena";
Death certificate of her son (my GGF) reads "Maddalena";
Baptismal certificates of her children give "Maria Devincenzi" as name of mother;
Her death certificate lists her as "Maria";
US censuses list her as "Maria" (Mary);
Church matrimonial certificate for her son Louis (my GGF), lists her as "Maria".

Grazie mille per sua assistenza.
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Hi Nick! :D
I sent you a pm...
Laura
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

nfig1 wrote:
suanj wrote:
regards,
suanj
My GGGM, Maria, emigrated in 1885 (according to US census) to San Francisco, CA, where she lived until about 1890. Then she moved across the bay to Oakland, where she lived until her death on Aug 16, 1912. According to her death certificate, she was born on May 16, 1868. Her father's name was Bartolomeo De Vincenzi (Devincenzi). Her death certificate does not give the town of birth. I have also seen her name written as Maddalena; perhaps this is a middle name. On her death certificate it reads Maria. A possible ship manifest from 1885 lists her as Maddalena. My GGGF's death certificate also lists her as Maddalena, so I really don't know if her name was Maddalena or Maria. http://img161.imageshack.us/img161/3649/1885devwj8.jpg
Mother's name is possibly Teresa. Possibly related 1900 census listing Maria/Maddalena's brothers and Teresa, living in S.F.: http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/5813/1900devgz7.jpg

The rest of my Italian ancestors have all come from Liguria, and it turns out that the surname, De Vincenzi/Devincenzi, although seen throughout Italy, is particularly common in Liguria, most notably in the comune of Varese Ligure (La Spezia), which is where her husband (my GGGF) is from as well (although they apparently married in the USA in 1886). Based on this data, Varese Ligure/La Spezia would be the first place to look. I ultimately need a copy of her birth certificate to satisfy the US Italian consulate, although I've heard only certificates from the "Italian" line are required by Italy itself.

Death certificate of her husband gives "Maddalena" as wife's name;
Probable ship manifest lists "Maddalena";
Death certificate of her son (my GGF) reads "Maddalena";
Baptismal certificates of her children give "Maria Devincenzi" as name of mother;
Her death certificate lists her as "Maria";
US censuses list her as "Maria" (Mary);
Church matrimonial certificate for her son Louis (my GGF), lists her as "Maria".

Grazie mille per sua assistenza.
yes your Maria emigrated in 1885, but her name was Magdaline:
all family
New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
about Bartholome Devincenzi
Name: Bartholome Devincenzi
Arrival Date: 11 Dec 1885
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1827
Port of Departure: Le Havre, France
Destination: New York
Place of Origin: Italy

Ethnicity/Race­/Nationality: Italian
Ship Name: Labrador
Search Ship Database: Search the Labrador in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Port of Arrival: New York
Line: 41
Microfilm Serial: M237
Microfilm Roll: M237_491
List Number: 1502
Port Arrival State: New York
Port Arrival Country: United States

in travel with Maria wife age 56, Marguerite daughter age 33, Magdaline daughter age 17, Louis son age 11
http://img237.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... ncenzi.jpg
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
nfig1
Rookie
Rookie

Post by nfig1 »

Great job suanj! So how come she is nicknamed Maria on so many documents though? Which name should I search for her birth certificate under? Maria? Maddalena? both?

Now, I just need to find what city or region she was from in Italy. Like I said before, it's probably Varese Ligure (La Spezia), but I need some help. Please please :)

Grazie mille