SSN without Naturalization???

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Romano1970
Master
Master

SSN without Naturalization???

Postby Romano1970 » 03 May 2009, 21:11

My Grandmother Carmela Romano (ma) Nigrelli needed to get a Social Security # after my grandfather past away in 1955. However, I can not locate any Naturalization paperwork for her. In that time period, was it allowed to get a Soc Sec without be Naturalized??

I checked the Passaic County Naturalization Web page and entered her name but there was nothing for her.

Any thoughts???
Michael Romano

Chi va piano va sano e va lontano

Those who go slowly, go safely and go far

Looking for family history in Piazza Armerina, Aidone, and Musomelli Sicily.
Names researching: Romano, Nigrelli, Ristagno, Piazza Maida Triolo.

Essgee
Master
Master

Re: SSN without Naturalization???

Postby Essgee » 03 May 2009, 23:43

Legal aliens would get a SS Card. If they are on a work visa, or whatever, they would have to pay into the system. Also, women who never worked that were never naturalized whose husbands worked, were entitled to benefits on his death. She would draw against he SS.

So I imagine, she would have a SS card. If you request that, you should find the info you need. But I am sure she wouldn't have to be a citizen.

Romano1970
Master
Master

Re: SSN without Naturalization???

Postby Romano1970 » 03 May 2009, 23:55

oh ok....I should have said before that I know my grandfather was not naturalized. He was a registered Alien. Does that make any difference. The story goes that after my grandfather passed away she wanted to try to support herself ( with the help of her grown children) this was in 1955.
Michael Romano

Chi va piano va sano e va lontano

Those who go slowly, go safely and go far

Looking for family history in Piazza Armerina, Aidone, and Musomelli Sicily.
Names researching: Romano, Nigrelli, Ristagno, Piazza Maida Triolo.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”