Babies born on ship while coming to America

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
sal4
Veteran
Veteran

Babies born on ship while coming to America

Postby sal4 » 07 May 2009, 21:12

I was just told that while my (single) Grandmother was coming here to America from Italy, she was pregnant and that she gave birth (in American waters) to my oldest Uncle on the ship......My question is on the ship's manifest there is no mention of a baby....wouldn't there be a record of him? and she was also detained for 1 day and on that record there is still no mention of a baby? Why? Thanks...sal4
Looking for surnames Iasalvatore (Salvatore), Tartaglia, Rosetta, Consola, Di Muccio, Castellano, Montanaro, Dipaolo, Costa, Sansone, Giudicianni and Laudato.

Romano1970
Master
Master

Re: Babies born on ship while coming to America

Postby Romano1970 » 11 May 2009, 12:25

From my understanding of the manifests, they are filled out at the port of departure. So if you grandmother was pregnant they would not list the unborn child. The only things that get changed on the manifest when coming to america would be the dollar amount that the person had when the arrived from what they had when they left their home country. The port of arrival did not want to put out any more money then they needed to. This is why on a good deal of the manifests you see names crossed out on them. This is either because the person did not make it on the ship or they are named on another page. Since your uncle was not actually born until she departed he would not have a slot for him alone.

Sal, can you advise of what year she came to America?? There may have been records in the Hospital on Ellis Island. On the ship, was she first class passenger? If she was a first class passenger she did not ( most likely ) even set foot on the island. There could be information at a hospital somewhere in NYC.

Let us know. This one seems very interesting.
Michael Romano

Chi va piano va sano e va lontano

Those who go slowly, go safely and go far

Looking for family history in Piazza Armerina, Aidone, and Musomelli Sicily.
Names researching: Romano, Nigrelli, Ristagno, Piazza Maida Triolo.

sal4
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Babies born on ship while coming to America

Postby sal4 » 11 May 2009, 20:34

Hi....Thank you so much for your insight on this matter......Her name was Carmela Rossetta and she came her Dec 2nd 1904......The ships was Citta Di Napoli coming from Naples ....she was a peasant and had what looks like $6.00 when she arrived at Ellis Island......She was detained for one day at Ellis Island for some reason.(baby???).....The baby's name was Guiseppe the baby's father (my Grandfather was Raffaele Iasalvatore...I don't know if any of this will help or not.....I'm trying to get a copy of the birth cert. from my cousin....but his daughter in law is dying from brain cancer, so I know it will be a little while before I can get it.........Thank You....sal4
Looking for surnames Iasalvatore (Salvatore), Tartaglia, Rosetta, Consola, Di Muccio, Castellano, Montanaro, Dipaolo, Costa, Sansone, Giudicianni and Laudato.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”