INFO ON ANTONIO LOPRETE- 1901

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
MarieJosephine
Rookie
Rookie

INFO ON ANTONIO LOPRETE- 1901

Postby MarieJosephine » 13 May 2009, 02:38

I am continuing my research on my previous posting of Giuseppe Loprete along with another person who posted on Giuseppe Basile Family. We are trying to find out how the families are somehow connected. We have found out that Giuseppe Basile's wife's maiden name is Donnangelo or D'angelo. I am also helping a Teresa Loprete in italy trying to find the connection to the Basile's. In speaking about her greatgrandfather (Domenic Loprete),and his brother Giuseppe, she mentioned there was one called Antonio Loprete whom I found on the Ellis Island Website -immigrated in 1901. Looks like he was going to visit a brother-in-law :D'Angelo? She also told me that he died young. I may be looking at the wrong Ellis Island page but he was from Castroregio, Italy.

Is there any information on him that you could find to confirm where he was headed or if he died?

Thanks

Biff83
Master
Master

Re: INFO ON ANTONIO LOPRETE- 1901

Postby Biff83 » 13 May 2009, 15:07

For reference:

1901 manifest line 4
Name: Antonino Lo Prete
Arrival Date: 24 Jan 1901
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1874
Marital Status: Married
Ethnicity/Race­/Nationality: Italian
Ship Name: Spartan Prince
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Last residence: Castroregio
Previously in US for 4 years
Destination: Hazelton PA to join brother in law D'Agostino no first name given (note that the surname D'Agostino appears on manifests for passengers from Castroregio)

Also, based on ship manifest information I believe the correct surname for Giuseppe Basile's wife was Donnangelo.

If you're not using it now, I suggest you try Steve Morse's search engine for checking Ellis Island manifests. The link is below. Use the gold form and try various searches. By last name only, by town of origin only, a combination of the first three letters of the last name and the first five letters of the town of origin. For example--last starts with "Don" or "Bas" or "Lop" or "Lo P" and town of origin starts with "castr". This will display a number of hits some of which you can eliminate based on last name and/or town of origin. For the possibles, check each manifest--you'll find a number of folks from Castroregio going to Hazelton. By keeping track and making some notes, you might be able to noodle out the relationship between the families.

Steve Morse site

Gold Search Form

Biff
"To dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands"

MarieJosephine
Rookie
Rookie

Re: INFO ON ANTONIO LOPRETE- 1901

Postby MarieJosephine » 13 May 2009, 15:24

Thanks Biff, I will do a little more digging and contact Teresa in Italy who is also researching on her end for more information. This has been a very interesting journey.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”