Hi. I need help with my Geneology!!! =(

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
gabriela1982

Hi. I need help with my Geneology!!! =(

Postby gabriela1982 » 14 May 2009, 04:26

Hello to everyone. I'm new in this forum. I ran into this website because i'm trying to search for information about my family. My great-great-grandfather was italian. "Aparentely", he was from the north of Italy, I don't know if Genova or Piacenza. The thing is, my great-great-grandfather, Antonio Cristoforo Rossi, came to Argentina with his father, Pietro Rossi. Antonio came to the country around 1885-88 more or less and he was born in 1867 (more or less). The thing is that i need the information because i need to get the documents and i've been trying so hard to get it for more than a 8 months and i can't find much. I don't know how to do to get the information where he came from and all that. I got into one website and i saw some information of an Antonio Cristoforo Rossi whose father was Pietro but i doubt it is him. Because there must be a lot of people with that name. Now, when i searched for the ships, i started to see someone called Antonio Rossi who arrived to the country and with his age, and i only found one, but the ship came from Marseille! so, still, that's no proof that it is real. From one of the websites, i found that there is a guy with the same name and all that and he was baptized at "Parrocchia d' Olmo, Piacenza, Emilia-Romagna" the thing is, again i don't know if that could be him. I tried to find that church but i can't, i don't know if it exists, does anybody know it? i don't know how to put in contact with it to ask them.
Anyway, if anyone can give me a tip, or some ideas of what to do, where to ask, i would really appreciate it!!!!
Thanks again!!
Cheers

Gaby :D

aliza24
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Hi. I need help with my Geneology!!! =(

Postby aliza24 » 16 May 2009, 05:27

Ok- it sounds like you have too little information to go on to corroborate what you might find. So you need to go back to square one.

Interview all the relatives you can. Do as much research as possible on the more recent stuff before you try to go all the way back to your g-g-grandfather.

Do you know all of his siblings' names / cousin's names? And which of those came over? Where they lived / died / where married / buried / if they have military draft cards / church names, etc....? All of this stuff can give you more clues.

It sounds like you've been doing a lot of work but you have made the common mistake that we all make of wanting to go back too far too fast before we've gathered enough clues from the previous generation to get us there!

I had a similar problem with one of my g-grandparents. I couldn't find a darned thing on him and to make matters worse he had a very common name. But I ended up being able to trace him through a sibling. The sibling's WW1 draft card had the town they were from (my g-grandfather's just said Italy). And the sibling also lived a long life- long enough to be in the SS death index. Requesting that card gave me the parents names. None of the other brothers had that information.

So those were 2 pieces of info. I NEVER would have gotten without fully checking out that one brother.

I've had other lines that I had to trace through cousins! Try not to get frustrated. There's usually an alternate route if one route is closed.

Go back over what you have and see if there's anything you may have overlooked and / or not fully explored yet.

Hope that helps,
A

gabriela1982

Re: Hi. I need help with my Geneology!!! =(

Postby gabriela1982 » 05 Jun 2009, 04:09

Hey!!! thanks for you answer!! you were right! guess what??? I got the birth certificate of my great grandfather and over there, it mentioned the name of my great great grandfather and his parents. The thing is there was a rectification in the certificate because the name was not written properly. That was done because it seems that my great grandfather Nicolas was inheriting some properties since his parents and greatparents were dead. So, i went to court to find out about this file and guess what!! i was lucky to see the file! and over there, it had ALL the birth certificates of my italian Great great grandfather and his parents, and his death certificate, marriage too, and all the birth certificate of his sons. I mean, i got a lot of information which i couldn't believe. I must tell you, it was hard to get it because, i needed to be a direct heir in order to read the file but there was a lawyer there, who was kind enough to sign so that i could read the documents. I was able to get the photocopies and legalize them but what i don't know is, can i use that italian birth certificate when i'm presenting myself at the consulate? because i have asked for the birth certificate to the town where my great great grandfather was from but they didn't answer to me. I asked them to tell me how the process is done but they didn't even respond.
Anyway, thanks a lot for your help and piece of advice.

Gaby

Return to “Italian Genealogy”