Anyone familiar with Varese Ligure??

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
hamchuck
Rookie
Rookie

Anyone familiar with Varese Ligure??

Postby hamchuck » 14 May 2009, 16:35

Looking for information on Varese Ligure.

From Wikipedia: Varese Ligure is a comune (municipality) in the Province of La Spezia in the Italian region Liguria, located about 50 km east of Genoa and about 35 km northwest of La Spezia. As of 31 December 2004, it had a population of 2,254 and an area of 136.3 km².[1]
Varese Ligure borders the following municipalities: Albareto, Borzonasca, Carro, Maissana, Ne, Sesta Godano, Tornolo.

Anyone have insight on this comune? Who or where to contact? It is a small place so tracking down Devincenzi's should be easy right?

I know my wife's grandmother (Caterina Devincenzi) and her brother (Giovanni) list VL as there home town.

I need to try and find birth records to begin with.
Any advice is appreciated.
Ham

vj
Master
Master

Re: Anyone familiar with Varese Ligure??

Postby vj » 14 May 2009, 16:45

hamchuck wrote:... I know my wife's grandmother (Caterina Devincenzi) and her brother (Giovanni) list VL as there home town.
I need to try and find birth records to begin with ...

Ham,
You could write to the comune for their birth records:
Valarie

Italian form letter generator with instructions:
http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... civile.asp

Address:

Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Comune di Varese Ligure
Via del Municipio 26
19028 Varese Ligure SP
ITALY
http://www.nonsolocap.it/liguria/66-varese-ligure/

Website for finding comune addresses:
http://www.nonsolocap.it/

hamchuck
Rookie
Rookie

Postby hamchuck » 14 May 2009, 17:15

thanks Valarie,
Have you had any experiences with this comune? I know it is very small and from what I have read, it retains many of its old ways.

ValeriaMazza

Postby ValeriaMazza » 14 Aug 2009, 12:33

Hi,

maybe this reply will arrive late as the thread is a bit old.
I come from that part of Italy and I can confirm you Varese Ligure is a nice village in the interior of Liguria region, just at the border with Emilia Romagna.
It was one of the many small mountain villages lost on the Appenini, probably destinated to disappear, as young people are still emigrating nowadays in bigger cities.
But in the last years the community there was able to convert the rural nature of the village into a economical ressource. Varese ligure was the first certified "Ecological village" in Italy. You can find organic farms and ecological oriented services. There is also an important eolic energy implantation.

If you need more information you can contact me.
Valeria

Return to “Italian Genealogy”