My heritage...

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Vitatoe

My heritage...

Postby Vitatoe » 16 May 2009, 06:38

:?: :?: [b][i]

I was wondering if someone could help me. My family name is Vitatoe. I'm trying to find information about my family name and where my ancestors were from. I have been told we're originally from Milano and the research I've been able to find so far is minimal at best. "Vita" has been researched to mean "life, Vitality" or " One who enjoys / loves life" in the sites I've been on. Is this accurate or no? Does anyone know... the ones in my family I could have asked more questions of have all died including my father. I obtained some information from him but, not much as we're Italian-Americans for several generations now. Some family think Vita, Italy has something to do with our family name but, I'm not sure.... others think our name originally meant " Original Sin" but, I have found nothing to suppoirt that claim. Please help!!!

vj
Master
Master

Re: My heritage...

Postby vj » 16 May 2009, 11:55

Vitatoe wrote:I was wondering if someone could help me.
My family name is Vitatoe.
... and where my ancestors were from. I have been told we're originally from Milano and the research I've been able to find so far is minimal at best.

Hello!
We would all be happy to help.
If you could give us a bit more information: such as names, approx birth dates, locations, spouses, siblings, we could help you look for some records.
It's possible that there is a ship manifest or military registration card from the US that has a location in Italy.
Many of us have subscriptions that can help, there is also the free Ellis Island site for NY arrivals: http://stevemorse.org/ellis2/ellisgold.html
Valarie

Vitatoe

Postby Vitatoe » 25 May 2009, 05:55

I can give some information about the ones who settled in Kentucky and Tennessee, U.S.A. but, I don't know anything about my Italian ancestors. My father was born in Rockwood, Tenneessee in 1948. My Grandfather was born there in 1927(?). I know we had an ancestor show up here during the Revolutionary War... 1770's. I'm completely new at this and have very limited sources for information avaliable to me. I'm not sure even where to start to be honest but, I'm desperate / determined to try!ther has been to Italyy and he claims there is a county(?) named after us. Not sure it's really us but, I noticed a Vittorio, Italy mentioned in the logs... I know there's several different spellings of our name. Vitale, Vittoe, Viettoe, Vito, ect.. there's more but, I don't have them memorized. In any case, I didn't find anyone I recoginized on the ships.. I was told we may also be related to the DeVitos (?) Not sure.....

adamf
Rookie
Rookie

Postby adamf » 25 May 2009, 08:14

Lets get specific. The best way to find out about your family in Italy is to gather as many documents as possible in the U.S. first. So, in order to do this, please give us names of your grandparents and great grandparents as far as you can. Give the names of their spouses, children, and any birth and death dates you know. That way, we can find the federal census information, and the wonderful people on this board will be able to help as the information comes in.

wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Postby wldspirit » 25 May 2009, 14:19

Good point Adamf.....genealogy is best done by working backwards, one generation at a time, collecting as much information on that generation before moving on!!
wldspirit :wink:

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."

socalartgal

Re: Vitatoe

Postby socalartgal » 26 Jul 2015, 20:35

Good morning:

I know its been some time since you posted this but I too am eager to find out about my Vitatoe ancestors. I strongly suspect there is an Italian connection as there are many variations on the name. My family were midwestern farmers from Ohio.

Can you please tell me if you, or anyone else, found out anything? Very eager to hear.

Thanks.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”