Rizzato/Marchioro in Lugo di Vicenza/Zugliano

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
nokkeow

Rizzato/Marchioro in Lugo di Vicenza/Zugliano

Postby nokkeow » 16 May 2009, 21:51

Hello, I am new to researching my Italian ancestors. I have been able to learn a lot about my great grandfather and great grandmother Luigi and Lucia Marchioro (Lucia's maiden name was Rizzato) from the time they arrived at Ellis Island, but little of their history in Italy. Perhaps someone can help me search some on line records from Italy and point me in the right direction. I would be deeply greatful for any help.

Luigi was born on 14 Oct 1872 (according to his WW I draft card). I believe he was born in either Zugliano or Lugi di Vicenza. Lucia was born on 16 Oct 1874, I believe in Lugi di Vicenza (but it may have been 1872 or 1873). As late as 1909 Lucia had a sister in Lugo di Vicenza named Emilia (last name/marital status unclear). Luigi came to Ellis Island alone on 18 Dec 1901 (passenger lists calls him Marchiore), and came again with Lucia and a 6 year old named Giuseppe on 3 Sept 1903. Lucia returned to Ellis Island in 1909 with a 6 year old girl named Benvenuta. They lived in Iron Belt, Wisconsin, and several more children were born in Wisconsin, Michigan and Montana. I have had good luck locating them in the 1910, 1920 and 1930 censuses (1910 lists last name as Marchisio, and 1930 census is under Lucy Marchiori), and have ordered death certificates, naturalization records, etc that have yet to arrive. But I haven't come up with anything that says with any certainty more than they were born in Italy. I have no information on when or where they were married, other than the 1901 Ellis Island passenger list has Luigi as being married, and apprently with a wife and 4 year old son back in Italy.

On the 1901 and 1903 Ellis Island records Luigi lists Zugliano as his last place of residence, and in 1909 where Lucia indicates she had stayed with her sister Emilia in Lugo di Vicenza. Our family lore, such as it is, is that Luigi and LUcia were from Lugo di Vicenza (it seems like Lugo di Vicenza are only about a mile apart, and both are located about 20 miles north of Vicenza).

Anyway, if anyone can help with how to confirm the dates and places of birth and marriage, and perhaps if Luigi served in the Italian Army, I would really appeciate it.

vj
Master
Master

Re: Rizzato/Marchioro in Lugo di Vicenza/Zugliano

Postby vj » 16 May 2009, 23:31

nokkeow wrote: ... search some on line records from Italy and point me in the right direction
... how to confirm the dates and places of birth and marriage ...

Hello!
A couple of options
Haven't been able to locate anything on line for you, but your nearest Family History Center has records for Lugo di Vicenza and Zugliano on microfilm.
The cost is about $6 mo (rent), you’ll need to go to the center to order & view them.
Valarie

Family History Library Catalog:
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/Library ... t_fhlc.asp
---

film notes for Lugo di Vicenza

Topic:
Italy, Vicenza, Lugo di Vicenza - Civil registration
Titles:
Registri dello stato civile, 1806-1900 Lugo di Vicenza (Vicenza).
Ufficio dello stato civile
---

film notes for Zugliano

Topic:
Italy, Vicenza, Zugliano - Civil registration
Titles:
Registri dello stato civile, 1806-1900 Zugliano (Vicenza).
Ufficio dello stato civile
---

In case you aren’t familiar with the Famly History Center & Italian records

FamilySearch Home Page
Includes how to find your nearest local Family History Center

A helpful essay written by Trish, one of our forum members:
Steps for Finding Microfilm at the Family History Center
---

Italian Record Research from the FamilySearch Guides:
Italy Research Outline
---

Also from FamilySearch (PDF format)
Italian Records Extraction - An Instructional Guide
---

Another option is to write to the comune (in Italian)

Italian form letter generator with instructions:
http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... civile.asp

Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Comune di Lugo di Vicenza
Piazza 25 Aprile 28
36030 Lugo di Vicenza VI
ITALY
http://www.nonsolocap.it/veneto/85-lugo-di-vicenza/

Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Comune di Zugliano
Via Roma 69
36030 Zugliano VI