No return mail from Italy

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
blujay
Rookie
Rookie

No return mail from Italy

Postby blujay » 18 May 2009, 10:23

I have been trying to obtain my great grandmother's birth extract from Ottaviano (1888). I have sent two letters, one in December ( w/ 5 US dollars and an IRC), and most recently in late February (sent registered mail with another IRC and received a signature card over two months ago so I know it was received). I have not had any response as of yet. Her town of origin, Ottaviano, is clearly written on her marriage extract from 1911.
Should I be concerned? Do I need to write a third letter or am I just wasting my time? Thanks for your comments.

blujay

wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Re: No return mail from Italy

Postby wldspirit » 18 May 2009, 12:28

Follow up with a letter to the mayor which can be found at the following site:

Sindaco

wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."

liviomoreno
Master
Master

Postby liviomoreno » 18 May 2009, 13:38

When you write to the mayor don't enclose money nor IRC.

wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Postby wldspirit » 19 May 2009, 18:48

Great point Livio..... :lol:
I would think he would be insulted!!!!!
Lee

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."

bonval
Rookie
Rookie

Postby bonval » 20 May 2009, 22:06

Hi - we just got back from Italy - we visited Itri and Campodimele - both communes declined any offers of stamped envelopes or any other form of payments - in both instances, they were THRILLED anyone from the US was tracing family - and both gave us books and such as "welcome home" gifts! They also both suggested staying in touch via email as the research is not digitized yet so it is slow going for them and fitted in around other work.Now granted my husband is still a citizen and was born there but the folks went above and beyond - and they gave us this is the way they treat all requests. They are limited what they can give direct viewing access to people due to the privacy laws but they do want to give you as much information as possible. Try email and then follow up - if it is for genealogy only mention that - because they need to stamp some other way for citizenship stuff.

blujay
Rookie
Rookie

Postby blujay » 21 May 2009, 07:40

liviomoreno wrote:When you write to the mayor don't enclose money nor IRC.

Can anyone confirm the mayor of Ottaviano as Mario Iervolino?

blujay
Rookie
Rookie

Postby blujay » 21 May 2009, 07:43

wldspirit wrote:Follow up with a letter to the mayor which can be found at the following site:

Sindaco

wldspirit

Thank you wldspirit!
I just composed a letter to the mayor of Ottaviano using the website you provided. :)

blujay
Rookie
Rookie

Postby blujay » 21 May 2009, 07:55

bonval wrote:Hi - we just got back from Italy - we visited Itri and Campodimele - both communes declined any offers of stamped envelopes or any other form of payments - in both instances, they were THRILLED anyone from the US was tracing family - and both gave us books and such as "welcome home" gifts! They also both suggested staying in touch via email as the research is not digitized yet so it is slow going for them and fitted in around other work.Now granted my husband is still a citizen and was born there but the folks went above and beyond - and they gave us this is the way they treat all requests. They are limited what they can give direct viewing access to people due to the privacy laws but they do want to give you as much information as possible. Try email and then follow up - if it is for genealogy only mention that - because they need to stamp some other way for citizenship stuff.

Yes, I found this to be true myself. I have sent many letters and emails to Grottaglie, Nocera-Inferiore, Solofra, and Abriola and have gotten timely and helpful responses. The exception has been Ottaviano. I have sent 2 letters (1 registered) and 4 emails
(w/ automated delivery status notifications) with absolutely no response. It's as if I never sent anything. I don't quite understand.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”