Records at the Archdiocese of Vallo della Luciania (SA)

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Edmondo
Staff
Staff

Re: Records at the Archdiocese of Vallo della Luciania (SA)

Post by Edmondo »

Knowing that I have all civil and church records of Valle dell'Angelo available back to 1805, I find it very difficult to find more information about both Filomena Troise and Vincenzo Coccaro.

Both Vincenzo and Filomena sure have their origins in Valle dell'Angelo but there are some missing links when I go futher back in history.

I think I found 2 siblings of Maria Giovanna:

Francesco Luigi born 2-jul-1879
Maria Luigia Francesca born 13-jul-1876

The surname Troise changed to Troisi in time and now does not exist anymore in Valle dell'Angelo for many years. Coccaro was and still is the most common surname.

Maybe if you can post some more information I can find out more.

About the surname Salomone I can say nothing more then that it is good possible it comes from Sacco. Sacco I think was a 2 hours walk through the mountains from Valle dell'Angelo in that time. Today it is about 10km (15 minutes) by car.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi Edmondo, I help the Pietro Salomone descent... I also called Salerno Archive, but the archivist cannot help without the birth location....
Pietro Salomone declared in the marriage that he coming from Sacco; the brother was born in Sacco also... but Sacco officer no found the record... I believe that the probable birthyear of Pietro Salomone is wrong ( 1868) because the brother was born in 1856 ( =Antonio Gaetano Salomone B. 1856 Sacco, Salerno, IT, son of Luigi and Teresa Pagano) ... it is possible for you to try in Sacco births around 1868 + or-?
Thanks,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
macaro

Post by macaro »

Thank you Edmondo,
Can you search records of Sacco as well for my great-grandfather (Pietro Salomone)? I need to date he was born in Sacco to request his brith certificate. Thank you !

Antenato : Pietro Salomone Pagano - Nascita/Born (1862-1874) en Sacco

Padre/Father: Luigi Salomone
Madre/Mother: Teresa Pagano
Fratello/Brother: Antonio Gaetano Salomone Pagano: Nascita/Born 1856 in Sacco SA (da un documento da Comune di Sacco)
roselaine

Post by roselaine »

Edmondo,

Please check your records for these Valle dell’Angelo ancestors:

Rosaria Rubano (or Maria Rosaria) married Carmelo Minelli about 1888. Can you find who her parents may have been (possibly her father was named Francesco).

Their children were: Francesco Antonio (1889) Luigi (abt 1892) Angelamaria Antonia (1894) Antonia Elvira (1896) Erminia (1898)

Rosaria’s brother Vito Rubano married Carmelo’s sister Angelamaria Minelli in case that helps.

The parents of the Minellis were Antonia Minelli and Pietro Mazzei. He died before they married. (They had children as it was the custom to do so before marriage so the children could not lay claim to the property and it could then be kept together and passed on to the oldest male heir.) Any information on the Mazzei family would be appreciated. We think Pietro’s father was Ferdinando and his father was Girolamo. I will try to attach a tree for clarity.

Thanks,
Rosemary
Rosemary
joedidio3

Post by joedidio3 »

Edmondo (& others),

Thanks for your fabulous contribution! I am starting to investigate my lineage in Vallo della Lucania. Without LDS films it is good to know there are records available at the diocese. Do you (or does anyone else?) know if there are civil records available in Vallo? I heard a rumor in my family that the town records might have been destroyed in WWII. Has anyone requested civil documents successfully?

Thanks,
Joe
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

I got a record from Vallo Della Lucania from the year 1860. They sent it right away too :)
MarilynHayes777

Post by MarilynHayes777 »

Hi Edmondo,
I'm wondering if the has been anyone to scan the records from Stella Cilento. Do you know? Also, is there a possibility that you may do it one day?
Thank you,
Marilyn Hayes
Descendent of Stella Cilento families
michele68
Rookie
Rookie

Post by michele68 »

>Hi Edmond
It is possible to see the records of Valle dell'Angelo?
I am searching Lillo family.
Nicola Lillo went in USA about 1900.
I am writing by Italy. I ask these news for my friend. She lives in Germany for 33 years and she does not know many informations about her ancestors. She is Lillo Maria Carmela.
My name is Michele. Suany says me about you.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

For Michele:
Michele con queste informazioni così scarne come può aiutarti Edmondo? Dovresti fornire tutte le informazioni in tuo possesso. Comunque ci provo io.

For Edmondo:
Dear Edmondo, Michele search for birth of Nicola LILLO from Piaggine; he was married at Elena Macchiarulo in Piaggine.

Michele know not the birthdate, but know that Nicola LILLO came in USA and never back in Italy;
Michele know that Nicola LILLO died after the immigration in USA ( he believe around 1900), but second my opinion the 1900 immigration year is no right.

I searched in the arrivals and I found only 1 Nicola LILLO coming from Piaggine, wife Lena in Piaggine and joining at Gaetano LILLO brother in Belmont, OH (b. 12 May 1883 Piaggine son of Carmelo LILLO and Giuseppa BRUNO) .
Name: Nicola Lillo
Arrival Date: 29 Jun 1914
Birth Year: abt 1887
Birth Location: Italy
Birth Location Other: piaggine
Ethnicity/Race¬/Nationality: Italian (South) (Italian)
Port of Departure: Napoli
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: Re D Italia
Search Ship Database: Search the Re D Italia in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database

I found also the WWI draft registration card:
World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918 about Nick Lillo
Name: Nick Lillo
City: Youngstown
County: Mahoning
State: Ohio
Birthplace: Italy
Birth Date: 24 Feb 1887
Race: White
FHL Roll Number: 1851307
DraftBoard: 1

Now because Nicola LILLo had a son: Carmelo LILLO born 1910 in Piaggine (so Nicola was in Piaggine and emigrated after the son's birth) it is very possible that the arrival and WWI draft registration card are abt right person...

What Michele kindly ask you, it is if you can search the birth record of Nicola LILLO ; if the birthdate will match with the birthdate on WWI draft registration card, as a well the parent's names are the same of Gaetano parents( Nicola and Gaetano was brothers), Michele can be very sure that is right person.

Thanks,
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Edmondo
Staff
Staff

Post by Edmondo »

Carmelo Lillo, born 1910 in piaggine was the son of Nicola Lillo and Elena Macchiarulo. Carmelo married Maria Antonia Galluzzo April 26, 1934 in Valle dell'Angelo.

Children of Carmelo and Maria Antonia:

Maria Grazia born June, 30, 1932
Pasquale born September 29, 1934
Lidia born July 21, 1939

All children where born in Valle dell'Angelo and possibly they had more children born after 1940 which I have no records of.

I happen to know the descendants of both the Lillo and Galluzzo (now Galluzzi) families very good and I can ask for information this summer when I will be in Valle dell'Angelo again. Please PM me about this the first week of August.
Tandem fit surculus arbor
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

suanj wrote:For Michele:
Michele con queste informazioni così scarne come può aiutarti Edmondo? Dovresti fornire tutte le informazioni in tuo possesso. Comunque ci provo io.

For Edmondo:
Dear Edmondo, Michele search for birth of Nicola LILLO from Piaggine; he was married at Elena Macchiarulo in Piaggine.

Michele know not the birthdate, but know that Nicola LILLO came in USA and never back in Italy;
Michele know that Nicola LILLO died after the immigration in USA ( he believe around 1900), but second my opinion the 1900 immigration year is no right.

I searched in the arrivals and I found only 1 Nicola LILLO coming from Piaggine, wife Lena in Piaggine and joining at Gaetano LILLO brother in Belmont, OH (b. 12 May 1883 Piaggine son of Carmelo LILLO and Giuseppa BRUNO) .
Name: Nicola Lillo
Arrival Date: 29 Jun 1914
Birth Year: abt 1887
Birth Location: Italy
Birth Location Other: piaggine
Ethnicity/Race¬/Nationality: Italian (South) (Italian)
Port of Departure: Napoli
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: Re D Italia
Search Ship Database: Search the Re D Italia in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database

I found also the WWI draft registration card:

Now because Nicola LILLo had a son: Carmelo LILLO born 1910 in Piaggine (so Nicola was in Piaggine and emigrated after the son's birth) it is very possible that the arrival and WWI draft registration card are abt right person...

What Michele kindly ask you, it is if you can search the birth record of Nicola LILLO ; if the birthdate will match with the birthdate on WWI draft registration card, as a well the parent's names are the same of Gaetano parents( Nicola and Gaetano was brothers), Michele can be very sure that is right person.

Thanks,
suanj
Gaetano Lillo born in Piaggine on 24 May 1882

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Edmondo wrote:Carmelo Lillo, born 1910 in piaggine was the son of Nicola Lillo and Elena Macchiarulo. Carmelo married Maria Antonia Galluzzo April 26, 1934 in Valle dell'Angelo.

Children of Carmelo and Maria Antonia:

Maria Grazia born June, 30, 1932
Pasquale born September 29, 1934
Lidia born July 21, 1939

All children where born in Valle dell'Angelo and possibly they had more children born after 1940 which I have no records of.

I happen to know the descendants of both the Lillo and Galluzzo (now Galluzzi) families very good and I can ask for information this summer when I will be in Valle dell'Angelo again. Please PM me about this the first week of August.
Thanks Edmondo,
Maybe Michele have this records; he wish know abt Nicola Lillo, father of Carmelo.
Nicola Lillo was born in Piaggine.. and married at Elena Macchiarulo...
immigrated in the USA and died after some year later...
Thanks,
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Edmondo
Staff
Staff

Post by Edmondo »

I have been in Stella Cilento, Lustra and Rutino a few years ago for my own research. It is about a 60 minutes drive form Valle dell'Angelo. I am sorry to say I can't help you with this. I have no contacts there I can ask. I can however advise you to contact Joe de Simone, a professional researcher, he sure can get access to records. http://www.avellinorental.com. Give him my greetings if you contact him :wink:

MarilynHayes777 wrote:Hi Edmondo,
I'm wondering if the has been anyone to scan the records from Stella Cilento. Do you know? Also, is there a possibility that you may do it one day?
Thank you,
Marilyn Hayes
Descendent of Stella Cilento families
Edmondo
Staff
Staff

Post by Edmondo »

I understood. I can ask Lidia about her grandfather when I am in Valle dell'Angelo this summer.
suanj wrote: Thanks Edmondo,
Maybe Michele have this records; he wish know abt Nicola Lillo, father of Carmelo.
Nicola Lillo was born in Piaggine.. and married at Elena Macchiarulo...
immigrated in the USA and died after some year later...
Thanks,
suanj
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

I believe that the mystery is solved;
1. by arrival record we know that Nicola Lillo leaving the wife (E)Lena in Piaggine ( Lena short version of Elena);

2.by WWI draft registration card:

http://img196.imageshack.us/i/lillowwi.jpg/
resident in 117 Lafayette, Youngstown, Mahoning OH

3. by

Name: Nicolo Lello
Titles & Terms:
Death Date: 28 Feb 1919
Death Place: Youngstown, Mahoning, Ohio
Birth Date: 09 Feb 1890 ( wrong: 24 Feb 1887 right)
Estimated Birth Year:
Death Age: 29 years 19 days
Marital Status: Married
Race or Color: Caucasian
Street Address:
Residence:
Burial Date:
Burial Place:
Cemetery Name:
Spouse's Name: Josephine Lello ( wrong: really Lena/Elena)
Father's Name: Carmilo Lello
Father's Title & Terms:
Father's Birthplace:
Mother's Name: Josephine Bruno
Mother's Titles & Terms:
Mother's Birthplace:
Film Number: 1984639
Digital Folder Number: 4096409
Image Number: 1278
Certificate Number: fn 12969
http://img545.imageshack.us/i/nicolalillodeath.jpg/

residence: 117 Lafayette, Youngstown, Mahoning OH