Sprufera - Farina Connection

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
barbarasprufera
Rookie
Rookie

Sprufera - Farina Connection

Postby barbarasprufera » 25 May 2009, 02:11

Recently you have helped me find much information about my family the Sprufera's and Sprofera's. I recently came into possession of what I believe to my Great Grand Father's - Joseph Sprufera (Giovanni Guiseppe Sprufera) death certificate. It indicates his father to be Joseph (no last name listed) and his mother to be Domenica / Domenia Farina? (hard to read the writing). This record is from the Department of Health of the City of New York, date of death 8/25/30.

The certificate indicates he was 75 years old, and had been in the USA for 50 years, putting his arrival at about 1880, which we had previously surmised.

My question is - can you direct me to how I can trace possibly Domenica / Domenia Farina or Joseph Sprufera? All 3 were born in Italy.
Thank you for any help provided.
Barbara

barbarasprufera
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Sprufera - Farina Connection

Postby barbarasprufera » 25 May 2009, 02:32

I also wondered, can I verify an address on a death certificate through the census, and if so, how do I do this? His date of death is 8/25/1930 - address listed is 1054? - 2nd Ave in NY - in the Manhattan Burough.

vj
Master
Master

Postby vj » 25 May 2009, 13:02

barbarasprufera wrote:I also wondered, can I verify an address on a death certificate through the census, and if so, how do I do this? His date of death is 8/25/1930 - address listed is 1054? - 2nd Ave in NY - in the Manhattan Burough.

Hi Barbara!
Sometimes you can noodle out an enumeration district for a census, but finding an address would be a page by page search within that ED.
I think this is your 1930 census. Did you need assistance with any other US records?
Valarie

1930 census image

barbarasprufera
Rookie
Rookie

Postby barbarasprufera » 25 May 2009, 14:56

Thank you Valarie! This is very helpful - and again gives me another spelling of our last name :)

Can you tell me how I can find birth certificates or naturalization papers? I am looking on Thomas Peter Sprufera DOB 4/17/1883 or Leonard Sprufera DOB 01/01/1896 or Anna Sprufera DOB 6/14/1885. I am also trying to find anything that will give information that will lead me to their parents, my Great Grandparents. I believe my Great Grandfather was the John Spurfaro that is on the 1930 Census you sent. This spelling of his name is the first I have seen it this way, but it is definitely my family, as Josephina was my Great Granmother and Anna and Leonard are my great Aunts/Uncles. I believe the correct spelling is Sprufera, but we have also found it to be spelled as Sprofera too.

Any direction you can provide would be so appreciated.
Thank you!
Barbara

barbarasprufera
Rookie
Rookie

Postby barbarasprufera » 25 May 2009, 15:15

Valarie - are you able to find anything on a Domenicia or Domenica Sprufera/ sprofera - maiden name Farina? I believe she is my Great Grandmother, but I have no other information on her. She would have been married to Joseph Sprufera - both who were born in Italy. Not much info but it is all I have at this point.
Thanks
Barbara

Return to “Italian Genealogy”