Finding unnamed brothers and sisters

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
donnawright
Elite
Elite

Finding unnamed brothers and sisters

Postby donnawright » 28 May 2009, 18:38

What is the best way to find the names and other information about brothers and sisters living in Italy? My grandfather's obit states that he had a living brother and two sisters at the time of his death, but their names were not included.

Donna

nuccia
Staff
Staff

Re: Finding unnamed brothers and sisters

Postby nuccia » 30 May 2009, 10:33

Well you can start by going through the Italian While Pages and plug in the surname and the town where your grandmother was born. See if there are still people with the surname living there and take a shot.

This is the only thing I can think of since no microfilms would be able.

Do you need the link?
nuccia - IG Moderator
Gente di Mare
Gente Italian Genealogy Forum
Extractions of various Comuni in Reggio

donnawright
Elite
Elite

Postby donnawright » 30 May 2009, 10:40

I already did that with no results for ANY of my four grandparents' surnames. Seems they have all moved elsewhere. I requested civil records two months ago from both comunes with no reply from either. I thought perhaps something there would provide a clue. With that obit information to consider, I feel sure there are decendants somewhere. I think perhaps my next move should be to write to people from the paginebianche with my surnames who live in the same provinces as my people. If you have any other ideas, I'm open.
Looking for Biagianti, Modesti & Vincenti in Tuscany and Tomaino, Curcio, Mazza, & Rizzo in Calabria

nuccia
Staff
Staff

Postby nuccia » 30 May 2009, 11:05

Hmm..

Maybe look for someone in the same province then that carries the name of your Grandfathers Father and start with them? If they followed some type of naming tradition then they may have each named at least one son after their father.

Its not a perfect plan but it may narrow down your requests to start off with. What do you think?
nuccia - IG Moderator
Gente di Mare

donnawright
Elite
Elite

Postby donnawright » 30 May 2009, 11:13

I actually do know my GF's father's name on my dad's side. I'll try that. On my mother's side, I don't know the GGF's name, but I have my GM's name and her mother. Thanks for answering.
Looking for Biagianti, Modesti & Vincenti in Tuscany and Tomaino, Curcio, Mazza, & Rizzo in Calabria

nuccia
Staff
Staff

Postby nuccia » 30 May 2009, 11:48

Let me know how it turns out and in the meanwhile I will see if I can think of anything else. Good luck!
nuccia - IG Moderator
Gente di Mare

aliza24
Veteran
Veteran

Postby aliza24 » 31 May 2009, 11:01

I wonder if there are any family letters that survived? Or perhaps a picture that with some luck may have names on it? I'm guessing that you have already thoroughly grilled all living relatives and gone through these types of things?

I've gotten lots of info. from distant cousins that I didn't even know existed before.

Also- do you have his will? I've got a will from a g-grandmother that lists all surviving kids, including one who stayed in Italy. It listed her by name.

Good luck,
AG

Return to “Italian Genealogy”