De Cristofaro / De Christofino ship manifest sought

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
stevec311

De Cristofaro / De Christofino ship manifest sought

Postby stevec311 » 29 May 2009, 20:28

Hello,

I'm trying to find the ship manifest for when my GGF came over. His name was Nunziante De Cristofaro or Nunzio DeChristofino (both have been used). His parents names are Michele De Cristofaro and Maria DelVecchio De Cristofaro. He left the port of Naples and I think landed in New York but I'm not positive. It could have been Boston. His date of birth is October 1889 in San Sossio Baronia, Avellino, Italy. I'm not sure of the exact date of arrival to the US but I know he was a little kid, so it's probably between 1891 and 1896. Sorry I don't have any more information. I would appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Steve

stevec311

Re: De Cristofaro / De Christofino ship manifest sought

Postby stevec311 » 29 May 2009, 20:35

Also, does anyone know if they have records of ship manifests in Italy as well? I know that my GGF had a document mentioning the King of Italy allowing his sea passage to America. Has anyone ever heard of this type of document? If so, would there be record of his departure at the port of departure, or at his town of residence? One of my relatives has pursued this document in Italy but was told that the records were distroyed by a volcanic eruption a while back. I'm hoping that there is some type of documentation in his home town of San Sossio Baronia, but I am doubtful of this.

wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Postby wldspirit » 30 May 2009, 13:51

I have yet to locate the child, but did come across this manifest:

Boston Passenger Lists, 1820-1943

Name: Leonardo Delvecchio
Arrival Date: 22 Mar 1904
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1886
Ethnic Background: Italian (South) (Italian)
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Ship Name: Republic
Port of Arrival: Boston, Massachusetts
Friend's Name: Michele Decristofaro
Last Residence: Italy
Microfilm Roll Number: 71

Manifest states Leonardo is joining his brother in law in Boston, Mass.

wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."

stevec311

Postby stevec311 » 30 May 2009, 17:11

Hello wldspirit,

Thank you for your research. It looks like this could be the uncle of my ggf on his mothers side. Thank you for this. I have also found out some more information now that I have my GGF's naturalization records in front of me. Unfortunately, the documents do not mention the ship name, but they do say that he departed Naples, Italy in 1891 and arrived in New York in 1891.

pink67
Master
Master

Postby pink67 » 29 Jun 2009, 20:32

Hi Steve :D

here you have (from ellisisland.org site) the arrival manfiest you were searching for:

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0178

Michele De Cristofaro (age 33) travelling with his wife Maria Giovanna (age 23) and son Nunziante (age 4), they arrived at the port of NYC on June 5, 1893.
From San Sossio final destination Boston.

Hope this helps you!

Laura

Return to “Italian Genealogy”