Spoleto visit and research

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
cesarers

Spoleto visit and research

Post by cesarers »

I will be visiting Spoleto, where my grandparent's are from and wanted to do some family research. Although they both moved to the US after they were married (i have the certificate), I have some of their parents and grandparents information that was passed down verbally. I would like to start to find records to firm this information up and branch further back.

I have looked for records through the FHL but no catelogues exist that would help. Is it possible and practical to visit the Comune in Spoleto and research this information while I am there on vacation?
Lucap
Master
Master

Re: Spoleto visit and research

Post by Lucap »

Hi Cesarers,
i don't know at what period your informations trace back, however until 1866 you can ask the office of "Stato Civile" for records concerning births, marriages and deaths (this is the e-mail: servizi.demografici@comune.spoleto.pg.it ) while for previous periods you can personally visit the "Archivio Storico Diocesano" ( http://209.85.129.132/search?q=cache:I9 ... clnk&gl=it ).
I did visit recently the Archivio Diocesano, so if you have some more detailed information to ask about, i will be glad to help you.

Luca
cesarers

Post by cesarers »

Luca- Thanks for your response. This is what I know:
My Great Grandparents
FRANCESCO CESARETTI was born 14 Oct 1869 in Poggiodomo-Spoleto, Perugia, and died Abt. 1944 in Spoleto, Perugia,
PAOLINA CASADEI born Bet. 1867 - 1884 in Cesena, Romagna, Italia, and died Bef. 1906 in Spoleto, Perugia.
They were married before 1897.

GIOVANNI COCCETELLA was born 13 Apr 1880 in Italia, and died 17 Jul 1963 in Italia.
MARIA CARCIOFI born 06 Sep 1886, and died 24 Jan 1968.(Terza Le Pieve)
Marriage Date: ?

My Great Great Grandparents
TEODORO CESARETTI was born Abt. 1839

GIUSEPPE COCCETELLA was born 1854 in Italia, and died 1887 in Italia.
CECELIA SENSI was born Bet. 1850 - 1860 in Italia, and died 1933 in Italia

Any help would be appreciated.
Lucap
Master
Master

Post by Lucap »

cesarers wrote:Luca- Thanks for your response. This is what I know:
My Great Grandparents
FRANCESCO CESARETTI was born 14 Oct 1869 in Poggiodomo-Spoleto, Perugia, and died Abt. 1944 in Spoleto, Perugia,
You can ask for an "estratto per copia integrale" of the birth act of Francesco and, if you are lucky, you can find in it the annotations concerning marriage and death so you will be able to ask for the relative acts and so on. Obviously you must ask those documents to:

Archivio dello Stato Civile
Comune di Spoleto
Via dei Filosofi, 89
06049 Spoleto
Italy

If you can't find the annotations, you can try all the same to ask for the documents you need indicating only the informations you already know: if the registrar is "magnanimous" maybe he can do the research for you... maybe!

PAOLINA CASADEI born Bet. 1867 - 1884 in Cesena, Romagna, Italia, and died Bef. 1906 in Spoleto, Perugia.
They were married before 1897.

GIOVANNI COCCETELLA was born 13 Apr 1880 in Italia, and died 17 Jul 1963 in Italia.
Where?

MARIA CARCIOFI born 06 Sep 1886, and died 24 Jan 1968.(Terza Le Pieve)

My Great Great Grandparents
TEODORO CESARETTI was born Abt. 1839

GIUSEPPE COCCETELLA was born 1854 in Italia, and died 1887 in Italia.
CECELIA SENSI was born Bet. 1850 - 1860 in Italia, and died 1933 in Italia

Any help would be appreciated.
Ciao
Luca
cesarers

Post by cesarers »

Where?

We believe he was born and died in Terza Le Pieve, Perugia (near Spoleto).
Lucap
Master
Master

Post by Lucap »

You can try to ask for it alike at the Stato Civile of Spoleto: at most they'll tell you that they haven't it.

L.
cesarers

Post by cesarers »

Luca-Thank you for your help. Do you have any recommendations for the other relatives?
Lucap
Master
Master

Post by Lucap »

If you'll be able to find Francesco's birth act and, consequently, his marriage act then you'll have more detailed info for trace back Paolina and her family and the same for Giovanni and Maria if you are lucky and they can find Giovanni birth act in Spoleto's Archive.
In the case that they can't find neither Francesco, nor Giovanni then i'll make a call for you at the registrar to see if there are other possibilities to go on with your research.
First of all, however, you need to write at the address i gave you: tell me if you need an help to write the letter.

L.