Roccamonfina, Caserta (CE) - Raffaele Saravo born feb 1 1892

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
rickdl

Roccamonfina, Caserta (CE) - Raffaele Saravo born feb 1 1892

Postby rickdl » 03 Jun 2009, 03:34

I've been able to do a lot of research just through family members/networking but I've reached a "stuck" point.

I'm at Raffaele Saravo, born feb 1st 1892, died feb 16 1958. Born in Roccamonfina, Caserta (CE) I believe.

I'm looking for siblings and/or his parents. I also have his wife's name (Gennarina Simeone) but I don't know when they got married.

I was thinking of sending out a request to the commune of Roccamonfina for his birth certificate, but what does that give me??? I have copies of other italian birth ceritificates from that same town, and on them I couldn't see any place for the name of the parents, witnesses, etc. It just had where they were born, name, date etc but nothing about relatives? Was surprised, do italian birth certificates not list the parents?

wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Re: Roccamonfina, Caserta (CE) - Raffaele Saravo born feb 1

Postby wldspirit » 03 Jun 2009, 06:20

Did you request a " estratto per riassunto dell'atto di nascita?

There are three types:
the original, (la copia integrale dell'atto) which must be viewed in person,
cannot be transcribed or copied.
the certificate, (il certificato)
and the extract of the act, (estratto dell'atto).

Unless specified, the town will normally send the certificate, which contains little information.
The extract, provides more details, including the names of parents,
family's place of residence, often what parish the person was baptized, name of priest, vocation of mother and father, along with other marginal notes.

Quoted from Trafford R. Cole "Italian Genealogical Records".
wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."

rickdl

Postby rickdl » 03 Jun 2009, 10:28

Thanks! I didn't know that.

So requesting an extract of the act, (estratto dell'atto) would give me some new information, especially the parents names.

How though do people go about finding siblings? I mean once I find his parents info on the exact of the act, I'll have his name/birth/town and his parents info as well, but how does that help me find brothers and sisters he might have had born in the same town? Since I wouldn't know their names or birthdates.

Are there any records of place of residence? i.e. that would show who all the people are that were living there?

For example my dad (grandson of the above person) had a document in his file called "Situzione di famiglia" from Roccamonfina... saying
Comune di roccamonfina
Provincia di Caserta
Situazione di famiglia
L'ufficiale di anagrafe certifica che nel registro di popolazione di questo commune risulta va iscritta alla via villaggio g. bosco n 46 la seguente famiglia composta come segue
which seemed to list himself and his brothers and sisters and parents who were living at his address at the day that document was prepared. But does that mean they keep records of who lives at an address going back how far? Or do they only keep records of current-residents and not archive old residents info at a residence? Like can I request a similar document for the year 1892 if I knew the address/residence in the town when Raffaele was born in? Is the above what's called a "State of the Family Certificate" from the "Anagrafe" office or is that something different? What's the diff between Anagrafe office (is that a town/commune office?) and the Stato Civile office of the town?

Or is there some other genealogy method people use to find siblings?

wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Postby wldspirit » 05 Jun 2009, 14:01

Sorry so late, we're remodeling!!

There are two types, one is the stato di famiglia, which is issued by the anagrafe office. The anagrafe office of each town keeps a record of all people
living in a place of residence. The record is updated as children are born, marry, move away and die. It shows who is living together in a place of residence at any given time.

More important for genealogical purposes is the stato di familglia originario, also called the stato di famiglia storico. It is not kept at the anagrafe office but at the ufficio di stato civile. It documents not those present in a household at a given time, but all members of the family, past and present,
including those who moved away or died. For genealogist, this document is a great source for documenting an entire family.

"Quoted from Trafford R. Cole" Italian Genealogical Records.

You can use the following site to send for a certificate, however the comune does charge for these, usually per name and will request payment before issuing the certificate:

Stato Civile
in the drop down box, click on state of the family certificate.

wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."

Return to “Italian Genealogy”