DeLuca, Longo, Morrone, Cosenza

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
JLDeLuca

DeLuca, Longo, Morrone, Cosenza

Postby JLDeLuca » 07 Jun 2009, 23:08

I'm trying to tie together (or untangle!) some family tree items. My grandpa, Louie DeLuca emigrated to Pueblo, CO in about 1910. I know from talking to my father and from this elegant effort:

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.anc ... MorrPg.htm

that Genaro Morrone's daughter, Emelia Morrone, married Phillipe DeLuca (the website shows it to be Charles?, but this is in error), who was Louie's father. What I'm trying to find out is which ship Louie emigrated on, which family members were with him, and then if there is information on where the DeLuca family lived near Cosenza. I hope to trace the line back to before Phillipe and his father, Pietro. Finally, Louie married Maria (Mary) Longo in Pueblo. She was born in NY, but I'd like to find out more about her family in Calabria. Thanks!

vj
Master
Master

Re: DeLuca, Longo, Morrone, Cosenza

Postby vj » 07 Jun 2009, 23:18

Hello,
Just to make sure we have the correct family, does this census belong to your family?
Thanks!
Valarie

possible 1920 census

Home in 1920:
Farm
Precinct 12, Pueblo, Colorado

head Philip Deluca 65, abt 1855 IT
- immig ?
wife Amelia Deluca 55, abt 1865 IT
- immig 1913
son Louie Deluca 27, abt 1893 IT
- married
- immig 1911
son Morian Deluca 23, abt 1897 IT
- immig 1911
son Sam Deluca 19, abt 1901 IT
- immig 1911
son Charley Deluca 13, abt 1907 IT
- immig 1911
daughter Rosie Deluca 15, abt 1905
- immig 1911
daughter-in-law Mary Deluca 17, abt 1903 NY
---

Location clue:

brother Marino's 1917 WWI Draft Registration Card
born in Trent (Trenta, Cosenza?) 15 Jan 1897
father born in Ravito (Rovito, Cosenza?)
---

Online records for Cosenza
(requires free registration)
http://88.59.143.158/ascs_web/index.fac ... 8430.node1

vj
Master
Master

Postby vj » 07 Jun 2009, 23:51

Luigi De Luca

from Ellis Island search
http://stevemorse.org/ellis2/ellisgold.html

possible 1911 manifest
page 2

- leaving his mother Emilia in Trenta
- joining brother Francesco in Pueblo
- born in Casole Bruzio (?)

Note:
Father Filippo (49) on line 7 - lined off (did not sail)

vj
Master
Master

Postby vj » 08 Jun 2009, 00:20

Maria Longo
Are these records correct?

possible 1910 census

Home in 1910:
923 Currie Street
Pueblo Ward 6, Pueblo, Colorado

head Joe Longo 30, abt 1880 IT
- immig 1900 Na
- married 10 yrs, abt 1900
wife Carmila Longo 26, abt 1884 IT
- immig 1900
- 4 children born, 3 children living
daughter Maria Longo 7, abt 1903 NY
daughter Julia Longo 5, abt 1905 Colorado
daughter Ercilia Longo 2, abt 1908 Colorado
---

father Giuseppe Longo
1918 WWI Draft Registration Card
born 30 Mar 1876
---

possible 1920 census

vj
Master
Master

Postby vj » 08 Jun 2009, 13:52

Giuseppe Longo

possible 1900 manifest

28 May 1900 SS Tartar Prince
lines 11-12
Giuseppe Longo 24, abt 1876
- last residence Trento
(Trenta, Cosenza, Calabria
or Trento, Trento, Trentino Alto Adige)
- joining brother in NY
wife Carmela

JLDeLuca

Postby JLDeLuca » 08 Jun 2009, 17:24

Valarie,
Thanks very much, I really appreciate your help. That is the clan, and all looks accurate. I know Phillipe eventually joined the family in Pueblo. The Trenta references must be Calabria as there is no connection in the Alto Adige. Thanks again,
Jim

tmarro

Postby tmarro » 23 Jun 2009, 03:35

Not sure if it helps any, but the Morrone clan emigrated from Trenta, Cosenza, Calabria. Trenta is a small town of about 2700 people, which includes several different areas that are somewhat separated.

I am also of the Morrone line from Trenta. My great great grandfather was Vito Morrone, and my great grandfather was Gennaro. Both were from Trenta.

Hope this helps!

JLDeLuca

Postby JLDeLuca » 23 Jun 2009, 20:30

Yes, thanks. It looks like Vito and my great grandmother, Emelia, were siblings, so we are distant cousins! Did you look at the link I put in the original post? A few of the names are incorrect, but there is a lot of good information on the Morrone line:

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.anc ... MorrPg.htm

I talked to my dad this last weekend, and he said that those extended families came over together and settled in the same area, no surprise.

tmarro

Postby tmarro » 08 Aug 2011, 17:41

JL. I don't think that Amelia's brother Vito was the same person as my great great grandfather. My great grandfather Gennaro was born in 1873 in Trenta (I have his official birth and marriage certificates from the Comune of Trenta), so I don't think it's possible that your Vito is his father since Vito Pasquale Morrone wasn't born until 1882. However, I'm sure that this is a related family branch. Morrone is a very common name in Trenta, and I would bet that the two were cousins at the very least, and so are we!

If you're interested, the Italian government has a website specifically for Italian-American immigrants from Cosenza province in Calabria. I will provide the link below, but here is some birth information on a Pietro De Luca, which is the result of a search I did on the site:

Municipality of COSENZA. Volume number 1-PRE, document number 262 page -
Pietro De Luca born on 10/07/1812 (July 10, 1812).

The website is:

http://88.59.143.158/ascs_web/index.faces

Registration is free, and you can use the site in english or italian. I recommend doing one search at first with all the information you know in the search bars. If that pulls up nothing, just use first and last name and search through the documents. So far, I have been able to locate my great great grandparents' marriage record, the military records for my great great uncles (my great grandfather Gennaro's brothers), and the possible birth record of my great great grandfather Vito Morrone. The site can be frustrating to use because so much information is missing from the records, but the government is literally going through thousands of old church records and some municipal archives to compile this information, so there are bound to be delays. Also, if you do find a record, you can request to have a copy mailed to you! I'm still waiting for some I requested, but I'm hopeful they will come within 2-3 years. I know that sounds absurd, but the government moves VERY slowly in Italy. It took three years to receive my great grandfather's birth certificate even though I mailed a request (with money) directly to the Mayor and record keeper of the town, who happens to be named Morrone! It took another two years to get my great grandfather's marriage certificate. GOOD LUCK!

JLDeLuca

Postby JLDeLuca » 09 Aug 2011, 06:01

What great information, thanks! Pietro was great, great grandfather, fought the French occupying forces from what I understand. Have you visited that area?

dizabrat
Rookie
Rookie

Postby dizabrat » 26 Jan 2016, 17:27

Hi, I know this was posted a long time ago but I would like any information you have on Gennaro Branca as he is in my family tree from Trenta. Also I have been trying the link above for weeks but doesnt work do you have any other website you use. Thank so much!!!! Diane

adelfio
Master
Master

Postby adelfio » 26 Jan 2016, 22:24

The Cosenza website is down at the present

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

Return to “Italian Genealogy”