Differences in names?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
lilbees
Master
Master

Differences in names?

Postby lilbees » 15 Jun 2009, 12:38

I have a situation where I am searching for a Francesco Surname?. On the list I have there is reference to a Francesco Surname and a reference to a Di Francesco Surname.

Are these the same person or a different person?

If requesting a birth record would I ask for Francesco Surname or Di Francesco Surname? They also have birthdates in the same month but not the same day.

My list shows them married to 2 differenct women and children of similar age.

lilbees
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa

Biff83
Master
Master

Re: Differences in names?

Postby Biff83 » 15 Jun 2009, 13:34

If you aren't asking for a bunch of other documents at the same time, I'd request extracts of the birth certificates for both people.

Biff
"To dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands"

lilbees
Master
Master

Postby lilbees » 15 Jun 2009, 17:13

Thanks for the advice Biff.

I have already received the birth record for "Francesco Surname". I will only have to write to request the birth record for "Di Francesco Surname" now. Correct?

This will be interesting. The Salerno Archives have been very helpful in locating older records for me. This one will certainly be different.

Will let you know what the outcome is.

lilbees
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa

aliza24
Veteran
Veteran

Postby aliza24 » 15 Jun 2009, 21:01

I might be able to offer more information if I knew exactly what you were looking for and where. I don't know what list you are referring to.

But I can tell you this- it was at times fashionable to have a 'di' or 'de' before your surname. Sometimes you can see a person with it and then the same person with out it. So it's very possible it could be the same person if all the other stuff matches up.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”