Bari Italy (Bari) BMD records prior to 1809?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
adalea
Rookie
Rookie

Bari Italy (Bari) BMD records prior to 1809?

Post by adalea »

Does anyone know if there are records kept for the capital city Bari in the Bari province of Italy that are from before 1809? I'm just curious. I'm tracing my Palumbo ancestors and am told that they originated from the capital city of Bari in 1530. My Palumbo relatives are all from a place very near to Bari... but many of the family had spread out over the years.

Are there records for BMD prior to 1809 and if so where can I find them? Also, if anyone has any information on the genealogy and decendants of the first recorded Palumbo that arrived with his family in Bari in 1530, Giovanni Palumbo (a lawyer) and his two sons Lodovico and Mario... it would be appreciated if you could share your information.

Thanks.
Anna
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Re: Bari Italy (Bari) BMD records prior to 1809?

Post by Italysearcher »

So far as I know the only BMD before 1809 are held at the parish church where the family lived. There may be some Catasto available for the 1700's but its tough to make the connection without having done the parish record search first.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
adalea
Rookie
Rookie

Post by adalea »

Thank you. I was just curious to find out so that when I do make the connection I would know where to find those records to continue my search.
aiescavol
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aiescavol »

Dear Anna,
for made research in Bari, before 1809, you can find in Centro Genealogico, and also in Cathedral, but is important that you know exactly where your ancestor was born.
I live near Bari area, and if you want ask me other you can write me.
Bye.
Michael.
ChrisMosca
Elite
Elite

Post by ChrisMosca »

Dear Michael do you have any advice on how to find where my great-grandmother was born? All I know is that she came from Bari, but I cannot find exactly where in the province of Bari she is from. I've sent tons of emails so far with no positive outcome. i know the names of her parents also.
Looking for the surnames Mosca( Marches ), Pizzoglio (Piedmonte), Chiacchiera, Lobasso(Bari), Gallo(Malvito), Azzolina (Messina).
adalea
Rookie
Rookie

Post by adalea »

Would a marriage record of my great-grandmother say where her parents were married or born? And if so, does anyone know how I can get a marriage record from 1911? They are not filmed in the LDS yet I guess.
aiescavol
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aiescavol »

If you want information for relatives of Bari area, I have need some information, for example: name and surname of relatives, and if you know, date of birth or city was born.
So, I can ry to made research, but before I need some news: you can send me all information that you have, and so I can try to made reseach...
Mike.
adalea
Rookie
Rookie

Post by adalea »

Well... here's the problem. My relatives are from San Ferdinando di Puglia. I found all of my g.grandmothers brothers and sisters birth records on film in the LDS but she was married in S.F. in 1911 and they have no records after 1900. Do you know where I can get those records?

I don't know where her parents were born but many Palumbo's coming over from italy during the waves of migration during the time she and her husband immigrated to U.S. were mainly from the Bari region & surrounding Apulia; many came from small towns near to Bari city - where some were from. Bari is so very close to Foggia that I thought I might try my search there for her parents records. There are no marriage records for them in S.F. (and no marriage records for my g.grandfathers parents either). So, i'm looking for any link to a city her parents may have come from. I thought it might say on the birth certificates where her parents came from originally before she was born but I couldn't find anything on the birth records.
ChrisMosca
Elite
Elite

Post by ChrisMosca »

My great grandmother was born around 1891-94 her name was Angela LOBASSO, her parents were Vincenzo and Grazia BATTISTA, sadly thats all the information I have. thanks again
Looking for the surnames Mosca( Marches ), Pizzoglio (Piedmonte), Chiacchiera, Lobasso(Bari), Gallo(Malvito), Azzolina (Messina).
aiescavol
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aiescavol »

If your relatives are from San Ferdinando di Puglia (Foggia province) you must try to made research in Comune di San Ferdinando di Puglia - Anagrafe, if is 1911.
For made better the research, after, I need to know name and surname of your relatives, and some date of birth (if you have), because in region APulia can be a lot of Palumbo family.
Write me for other information, and I try to made research for you.
Is important to know name and surname. And name of father, or mother.
aiescavol
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aiescavol »

Dear Chris, sorry but your great grandmother Angela LOBASSO, where lived in USA? And you remember her husband's name?
ChrisMosca
Elite
Elite

Post by ChrisMosca »

Yes, Her husband was Marino Pizzoglio, the only thing is that she moved to Sout America and not the USA. On all documents that I was able to get From Argentina where she ended up living, it always said that she was Italian and it never said where in italy she was from.
thanks for the help.
aiescavol
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aiescavol »

dear Chris, surname "Pizzoglio" is diffused in Italy in region Piemonte (North Italy), and Lobasso is diffused also in Southern Italy.
So, Pizzoglio is rare surname, and in Argentina or USA there is noboby with name Marino. Maybe you know parents of Marino Pizzoglio?
adalea
Rookie
Rookie

Post by adalea »

Your Quote: "If your relatives are from San Ferdinando di Puglia (Foggia province) you must try to made research in Comune di San Ferdinando di Puglia - Anagrafe, if is 1911.
For made better the research, after, I need to know name and surname of your relatives, and some date of birth (if you have), because in region APulia can be a lot of Palumbo family.
Write me for other information, and I try to made research for you.
Is important to know name and surname. And name of father, or mother."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RESPONSE
My relatives:
Isabella Palumbo, daughter of Rosa Recchimuzzi and Antonio Palumbo. Born 1891 san Ferdinando di puglia.
Pietro Capriuolo/Capriuoli/Caprioli, son of Giuseppe Capriuoli and Angela Modugno. Born 1889 San Ferdinando di Puglia.
Isabella & Pietro married in San Ferdinando di Puglia 1911 (as is annotated on their birth records).
aiescavol
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aiescavol »

Hi.
I have find that Pietro Caprioli had a borther, Donato Caprioli (born in 1884 about).
Pietro Caprioli and his wife Isabella Palumbo had 3 children?
1. Angelina (30 march 1921)
2. Rose (23 apr 1923-7 jan 1990)
3. Mary (24 Jan 1927).

I hope that is correct, but I try to made more research.