Need help with research in Calabria

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
magprise
Rookie
Rookie

Need help with research in Calabria

Postby magprise » 26 Jun 2009, 00:57

Hello,

I am hoping for some suggestions for the problem I am having trying to find the town my great grandmother came from. She was born in 1870 and emigrated to New York and was married in NYC in 1886. Neither the church nor the marriage record had any further information. I do have the naturalization records for 2 of her brothers which do not have any information about the town. Nor do their marriage records. Thanks to some great ideas from this board I was able to track down the town my great grandfather was from - Mendcino, Calabria.

Her name was Anna Maria Marchiano and she had 4 brothers James, Giuseppe, Stephen and Vincent. Her parents were Giuseppe Marchiano and Elena Liguori. She was from an Italo-Albanian town. For several reasons I thought the town might be San Demetrio Corone in Calabria. I checked a website that has conscription records for parts of Calabria and the only Elena Liguori I found was from San Demetrio Corone. When I searched the LDS records for that town I found an Anna Maria born in 1868 to Giuseppe and Elena. I also found two brothers Adriano and Demetrio. Neither of these names are in my family. This Anna Maria died in 1869. Unfortunately the LDS records did not have several years of births including 1869-1871. I still think its possible that they had another daughter in 1870 and named her Anna Maria but I don't know how to find this out. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. Sorry for such a long post.

Thank you,
Gabrielle

pink67
Master
Master

Re: Need help with research in Calabria

Postby pink67 » 26 Jun 2009, 07:07

Hi Gabrielle,

Just for references is this date correct?:

http://88.59.143.158/ascs_web/index.faces

Codice SIAS IT-ASCS-F680258
Ufficio Leva della Provincia di Cosenza, Liste di Leva della classe 1874.
Registro numero 127, atto numero 108 di pagina 418 sezione c

Adriano Marchiano', sarto iscritto il --/--/----
nato il 26/08/1874 a SAN DEMETRIO CORONE
da Giuseppe Marchiano' e da Elena Liguori

From Ellisisland.org here is the arrival manifest for Adriano Marchianò:

1901 arrival, coming from San Demetrio, age 25, married, joining his wife Rosaria Lavorato in Avondale NY

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0025

Rosaria Lavorato (Adriano's wife) 1900 arrival from San Demetrio, joining her brother in law in Avondale NY

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0021

Laura

magprise
Rookie
Rookie

Postby magprise » 26 Jun 2009, 16:06

Yes, that was the Adriano I found. No one in my family knows of a brother by that name. However, for Stephen Marchiano - no one knew that name either but he was living with the other Marchianos on an early NY census. No one in my family knows what happened to Stehen.

NYCKari

Postby NYCKari » 08 Apr 2010, 12:26

Hi Gabrielle,
I just watched your great video of the Town you visited S. Costantino. We expect to make a trip to San Costantino Albanese, It, next month and would love to hear more about your translater, etc. Your early picture of Angelo & James Sbano are with gents Andrew & Henry Calimano who are I believe relatives of my grandmother Fiorina Calimano-Magnocavallo. I know her father owned a bar with an apt. on top in the late 1800s, but left it to bring his family back to It. Wonder if they are early relatives of mine. Any tips you can give me?
Kari

maestra36
Master
Master

Postby maestra36 » 08 Apr 2010, 13:43

http://88.59.143.158/ascs_web/index.faces

The Archivio di Cosenza has an online website. You just need to create a username and password. Perhaps there is something on this website of use to you.

NYCKari

Postby NYCKari » 08 Apr 2010, 22:25

Thank you for the link. I tried and nothing shows up in my search.

liguorij

Postby liguorij » 07 May 2010, 20:46

My Grandfather James (Giacomo) Liguori was born in San Demetrio Corone Calabria approx 1883 to Guiseppe and Maria Liguori. He had several brothers and sisters including an Elana.

He emigrated to New York approx 1900, and Married Louise Buanno in Groton CT, the moved to Long Beach NY. This might be the same Elana!

Return to “Italian Genealogy”