Tumminia's From Sicily/Palermo

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Biff83
Master
Master

Re: Tumminia's From Sicily/Palermo

Post by Biff83 »

terryt57 wrote:thank you Biff - we know that my grandmother became an orphan with her brother when her father and sister died during immigration - one on the boat, the other within a few months. We did not know where she was originally from in Italy nor what orphanage she was in.
It's a start - we will try to find out more.
Thanks again,
Terry
Based on the above, both the 1930 census and the 1916 ship manifest are incorrect. The 1920 census is a possibility. Just in case, I'll leave them on the thread.

Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
terryt57

Post by terryt57 »

My father said she was in an orphanage with her brother Michael on Staten Island, but that does not mean that she was not placed in NJ first. Michael was the younger. No mother as she died in childbirth. Birthplace was I believe Portici or close to Naples.
Thanks,
T
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

terryt57 wrote:My father said she was in an orphanage with her brother Michael on Staten Island, but that does not mean that she was not placed in NJ first. Michael was the younger. No mother as she died in childbirth. Birthplace was I believe Portici or close to Naples.
Hi!
This may be Anna's brother Michael in 1920
Looked for Anna on the girls' pages, no luck
Valarie

possible 1920 census

Home in 1920:
Mount Loretto
Mission of the Immaculate Virgin
Richmond Assembly District 2, Richmond, New York

Michael Shardella 5, abt 1915 IT
- immig unknown date, alien
---

Mission of the Immaculate Virgin
http://www.miv-mountloretto.org/home.html
Rabbit

Post by Rabbit »

I have just happened onto this 2009 post regarding Tumminia family members from Sicily who immigrated to New York (Brooklyn). I am just beginning my search for members of my husband's family and the Rosario Joseph Tuimminia whom you reference was my husband's eldest uncle. MY husband was born to Concetta Tumminia and Angelo J. Collura in July 1937. Do you have information on other Tumminia family names, or possibly Colluras (which would be a miracle!). Thanks