pelegrino/i/a

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
boozy.bird
Rookie
Rookie

pelegrino/i/a

Postby boozy.bird » 28 Jun 2009, 20:14

Hi
I am trying to find details of my grtgrandfathers parents
My grtgfs name was Antonio Pelegrino/i/a (varies on paperwork) he was born in aprox 1861 in either Santa maria olivetto or santa maria de capua verte nr Naples. I was told that his fathers name was Joseph & his mothers name was Mari/Mary/Marie. Someone else(very distant family)has told me his mothers name was Cherubina Pettrucci.
Antonio came to England around 1887 (again need to verifiy details)Iknow he had two sisters Angelina (married Augustino Franchetti) & Philamena (married Domenico Spina thier daughter Luciana that was born whist visiting Italy)he also had a brother Nicandro(married to Caterina Perrone they had children Sengetto,Vengesto & Cheta/Carmela all born in Italy) I think there could have been a brother or maybe a cousin called Dominico.
Antonio & his bother & sisters & thier spouses settled in England but I have no details of how they got here. thier parents full names & dates of birth/deaths etc any other siblings & thier names & what happend to them.
Mamoth task I know..any help most gratefully recieved thanks

Italysearcher
Master
Master

Re: pelegrino/i/a

Postby Italysearcher » 28 Jun 2009, 21:52

You need to start with what you KNOW and order the relevant records in the UK. From there you follow the trail back to Italy. You will need to know the town of birth or marriage as all records in Italy are kept in the town where the act took place. Records for many towns have been microfilmed by the Mormon Church and may be ordered and viewed in UK. Most are for BEFORE 1865.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.wordpress.com
ANNOYING THE SAINTS - Stories of my Life in Italy. http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-b ... ly/7731505

Bette
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Bette » 29 Jun 2009, 04:27

I agree with everything "Italysearcher" said. Because I have the name Pellegrino in my family (San Filippo del Mela, Messina), I thought it was unusual to see the name spelled with one "l". You may want to keep in mind that the spelling of the name with one "l" is is very sparce in Italy today according to the following web site:

http://gens.labo.net/en/cognomi/genera. ... gnomi-prov

However, the versions with 2 "l" are very plentiful.

Pellegrino, Pellegrini

Once you get to the Italian records, you will see exactly how they spelled it in the town of your family's origin. But, even then, sometimes there are variations, depending upon who was recording it. Good luck in your search.
Bette

boozy.bird
Rookie
Rookie

Postby boozy.bird » 29 Jun 2009, 08:14

Hi Italysearcher
As I said before unsure of which area Antonio was born in. Was told Niacandro (Antonios brother) was born in Santa maria de capua verte & that one of his sisters Phillamina was born in Santa Maria de Olivetto.
Antonio married in England in 1893 to Luigia Lagoria from Genoa.
I do not have any details of marriage/birth of Antonios parents nor do I have an actual date/place of birth for Antonio.
Antonio born 1861(approx) died 21 nov 1921 in England
Nicandro " 1857 "
Caterina " 1861 " nee Perone (wife of Nicandro)
Vengesto " 1883 " son of Nicandro & Caterina
Singetto " 1883 " " " "
Cheta/Carmela " 1884 daughter of Nicandro & Caterina
F/Philamena " 1866 died 1950 in England (sister of Antonio)
Dominico Spina " 1842 died 1926 in England (spouse of F/Philamena)
Angelina " 1856 died 1913 in England (sister of Antonio
Agustino Franchetti " 1845 died 1914 in England (spouse of Angelina)

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 29 Jun 2009, 10:02

Hi,
Santa Maria di Oliveto is a hamleth of Pozzilli common, Isernia province, Molise region, IT... the other surnames mentioned.... Spina is correct spell;
Franchetti is wrong; right FRANCHITTI...
I know, by a my previous search that many people of Pozzilli came in Yorkshire... it is possible that your ancestor was born in Pozzilli area, just a suggestion.... You said that Phillamina( Filomena in italian spell) was born in Santa Maria di Oliveto( Pozzilli) maybe by Mormon's microfilms
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library ... umns=*,0,0
Topic Italy, Campobasso, Pozzilli - Civil registration

Titles Registri dello stato civile, 1810-1899 Pozzilli (Campobasso). Ufficio dello stato civile

you can search almost the marriage record of Domenico Spina and Filomena Pellegrino as a well almost the Vincenzo Spina birth.. the other child first name are mispelled and I know not what they could be in Italian spell...
hoping helpful,
suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

boozy.bird
Rookie
Rookie

Postby boozy.bird » 29 Jun 2009, 16:50

thankyou Suanj

Return to “Italian Genealogy”