Looking for...

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.

Looking for...

Postby estefi11061984 » 01 Jul 2009, 18:36

Hi , I am from Argentina, I am looking for information about my great-grandfather Pompeo Alighieri. He was born on 8 August 1878 in Italy. I think that he born in Sicily but I am not sure.

Pompeo Alighieri married with Venera Merulla in Grotte - Agrigento. There they had two children. Then they come to Argentina - Mendoza.

I would like to know exacly where he born.

Thank. Estefi.

sory for my english : )

Re: Looking for...

Postby Bette » 02 Jul 2009, 04:11

Dear Estefi,
You could try writing to the town of Grotte for the information. On the marriage record it will state where each person was born and the date of their birth and the names of their parents. If you ask for an extract of the marriage mention that you are interested in this information. Is there some reason why you suspect that Pompeo Alighieri was not born in Grotte? When checking the familysearch.org site, I noticed that it shows one person with this same surname being born in Grotte. Here is the address to write to:

Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Comune di Grotte
Piazza Umberto 1
92020 Grotte AG
Sicilia, Italia

There are web sites showing examples of letters written in Italian.

Good luck

Re: Looking for...

Postby PeterTimber » 02 Jul 2009, 04:30

Estimado you can write to CEMLA en la avenida Independencia 20-(1099) Buenos Aires or telephone (11)-4342-6749 to locate his arrival records and place of birth but I suspect that if he married in Grotte that would also be his town of origin but you may also wish to find out more information. The arrival records for immigrants to BA do not contain the town of origin sad to say.

You may also wish to send an e-mail to cemla@cemla.com. Your english is very good. Suerte =Peter=

Return to “Italian Genealogy”