Alpini service?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
TomG
Rookie
Rookie

Alpini service?

Postby TomG » 06 Jul 2009, 15:03

My grandfather emigrated to the US in 1899. We recently found records of his service in the Alpini 36 compania, possibly 4 reggimento or H. I can't read it clearly. It shows records for 1903/04, but there aren't a lot of entries.
Would it have been common to return to Italy from NYC to serve in the Alpini? I can't figure out why he would have gone back to Italy to serve when he had settled in NYC by that time.

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Alpini service?

Postby PeterTimber » 06 Jul 2009, 16:15

Are your talking about ww1 service or required military service during peace time??.

I know that my grandparents returned to Italy with their US born children at the beginning of WW1 because there was a rumor or newspaper article at that time stating that Italians who did not return to serve in the army would forever be exiled from Italy(?). They had a married daughter in Italy at the time and feared that they would never see her so they packed up and went back. My father, my aunts and uncle returned to the USA after the war while my granparents remained.
=Peter=
~Peter~

TomG
Rookie
Rookie

Postby TomG » 06 Jul 2009, 20:45

This was not war time service. The records look to be from 1903/04. Would it have been something he did to maintain Italian citizenship or to be able to travel to Italy without being arrested for not serving?

SAGE
Rookie
Rookie

Postby SAGE » 06 Jul 2009, 22:38

My Grandfather was in the 6 regiment of the Alpini in ww1 he died in the war.

My father was in 9 regiment before ww2. Came to Australia before the war.

I am trying to find there records

They came from the Province of Vicenza

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 07 Jul 2009, 23:00

Go to www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwisdom/saviello2.html for form letter for military records (conscription records).

Send form letter in italian to Archivio di Stato di Vicenza, Sezione Militare, Bassano Del Grappa, Borgo Casale 91, I-36100, Vicenza, Veneto Italy

=Peter=
~Peter~

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 07 Jul 2009, 23:03

Dear TomG there are many reasons why he returned to Italy and served in the army. Perhaps his military records might reflect the reason for his indcution into military service. There might be personal reasons that neiither you nor I can fathom. Sorry. =Peter=
~Peter~

Return to “Italian Genealogy”