Greco's from Calabria, province of Catanzaro city of Cr

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
grecojdw

Greco's from Calabria, province of Catanzaro city of Cr

Post by grecojdw »

Hi ,

I posted earlier trying to find information about my ancestor Vincenzo Greco who immigrated to Panama in 1894. I have found out a lot of information but there is still a lot missing. But below is a synopsis of what I know:

Vincenzo Greco (J.R)
Born: April 5, 1875
Birthplace: Calabria, province of Catanzaro, the city of Coprani

Mother: Felicia Olivo Conte
birthplace: Consensa, Italy (?? all I know about her)

Father: Vincenzo Greco Olivo (Sr.) (??? Why would they both have Olivo in their names? Are they distantly related?)
Birthplace: Coprani, Italy

Here is where it gets confusing????....

I don't know whether Vincenzo Junior had two brothers named Salvatore and Serafino or it was Vincenzo Senior.

I just want to know if anybody else had further information for my research? Can anybody clear up this confusion? I also know some of Vincenzo Sr. and Jr.'s brothers and Sisters immigrated to the Americas also. Does anybody have any of these names or regions in your families?
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Greco's from Calabria, province of Catanzaro city o

Post by PeterTimber »

Vincenzo is Italian senior is not Italian and the word meaning an older person is not used in Italy as part of a name or identification so Serafino is another first name.

As for having the same surname..remember your history.. these are small towns with families going back 1000's of years so names come and the family expands until there are many people no longer genetically family with the same name.... =Peter-
~Peter~
grecojdw

Post by grecojdw »

PeterTimber wrote:Vincenzo is Italian senior is not Italian and the word meaning an older person is not used in Italy as part of a name or identification so Serafino is another first name.

As for having the same surname..remember your history.. these are small towns with families going back 1000's of years so names come and the family expands until there are many people no longer genetically family with the same name.... =Peter-
Oh sorry for confusing you. I put Sr. and Jr. not to denote that they where in their names, but to separate them and show they both had the same name.
grecojdw

Post by grecojdw »

Also, Vincenzo Junior was the one who immigrated to Panama if that bit of the information confuses who reads the first message.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

If you know the town of origin in Italy Vincenzo came from in Italy you can find most of the information you are seeking right off!! I believe I already furnished you withsome websites but perhaps I am mistaken. Please let me know. suerte =Peter=
~Peter~
grecojdw

Post by grecojdw »

You provided me with some resources I could check in Panama, but you did not provide me with the Italian resources since I was just starting my research. If you could provide me with some resources it would be much appreciated:)
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Go to http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... earch.html

It is a fast read, and leads you where you want to go. =Peter=
~Peter~