Italians in England

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
boozy.bird
Rookie
Rookie

Italians in England

Postby boozy.bird » 08 Jul 2009, 12:15

From the mid1800s to the mid 1900s a large amout of Italians settled in Sheffield( Yorkshire , England) Could any of these be related to you ? check out this website http://www.west-bar-italians.co.uk

boozy.bird
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Italians in England

Postby boozy.bird » 17 Jul 2009, 14:44

A meeting is being organised at the begining of september contact through http://www.west-bar-italians.co.uk

Emmy
Master
Master

Postby Emmy » 18 Jul 2009, 21:47

I noticed it said on one of the links you gave that everyone was given a medical examination when they arrived in England and their namesetc taken. Therefore I would assume that records would have been made/kept.
My grandparents came to London from Italy around 1885/1887 but after researching for a long time I've always been told records were not kept of the names of the passengers who came to England at that time. It was different if their destination was USA then I would have been able to find information from ships manifests. Just wondering if I have missed something and records are available for people arriving in London between 1885/1887 My grandparents came from the Pov. of Frosinone.
Emmy

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 18 Jul 2009, 21:53

Dear Emmy They might show up in www.freeBMD.org.UK
and www.findmypast.com (names checks free). Keep me posted. =Peter=
~Peter~

Emmy
Master
Master

Postby Emmy » 19 Jul 2009, 16:29

Thanks Peter

(Births Mar 1887
BATISTE Cri* De* Greenwich 1d 1035)

The above is a record of my dad's birth (I had found this before, either on the site you posted or a similar site) It is definatley my father but the information is competley wrong and it did give an option the last time I visted the site to add a correction which I did but it still comes up as above.
Batiste was not their surname my grandfather was Giovanni Battista DeFilippis. Its fairly obvious from this that the person writing down the information couldnt understand what was being said and it was obvious my gradfather couldnt read what had been written because he signed with a X
On the certified extract of my dad's birth details it says he was born25/1/1887 and his name was Crislinzz Defileppis and my grandfather's surname was recorded as Giovan Batiste my grandmother's surname was also recorded as Batiste

I know before they came here the last birth they registered in Italy was for a son born August 1883. (Francesco Defilippis)I have the birth document.
The next birth reg. was my father born in London so that's as close as I can get to when they arrived in London. between 1883/1887 (I know I said between 1885/1887 before, but that was because I thought they woulndt have wanted to travel with a very young child,could be wrong about that too.)
It was when I read the original post and checked the link I thought I had missed a way how to find out when they actually arrived in London.

But this goes to prove its something like the above that makes it so difficult to find information about our ancestors.
Thank you Peter for your reply
Emmyxx

mahart
Veteran
Veteran

Postby mahart » 20 Jul 2009, 19:57

Hi Emmy,

Hope you don't mind me inputting on this.
But I would be interested to know where the information on the Sheffield site (www.west-bar-italians.co.uk) came from, which suggests that Italians were subject to a medical examination in Britain during the 19th century,
As far as I know no European had to go through this process.
Which leaves leaves passenger/crew lists as being the only real chance of finding a record relating to there arrival, as they did not have to register for citizenship/naturalization, you had to wealthy or serve and the armed forces to do this.
And records relating to travel from a European port to a British port (the port of arrival received crew and passenger lists from the captain of a vessel), sadly the majority of these have been lost or destroyed over time. The majority of crew/passenger lists coming to Britain from ports outside Europe have survived and are accessible on the Findmypast site but that is no help to you or I.

Mark
Searching for Palombella family in Molfetta, Puglia

Mark

Emmy
Master
Master

Postby Emmy » 20 Jul 2009, 21:41

Hi Mark
Of course I dont mind the more input the better :D
Like you I was a bit confused about the content in the link that was given. The only thing I could think of is whoever gathered the information perhaps got mixed up with people travelling to USA or perhaps that did happen to people arriving from outside Europe (I dont know if that took place though)
A few years ago I had a friend do a search for me at Kew ,her daughter worked there so with her daughter's help she knew exactly how to search the records for information. Like you said if ancestors had come to UK from outside Europe then more than likely there would be records of their arrival in UK.

Many years ago when I first started my search for this information I didnt have a computer so I had to write letters or phone. I did phone someone in England(so long ago I cant remember who I spoke to or where it was)but I do remember he told me if I knew the surname of my grandparents or the port they arrived at or what type of work they had said they were going to do on arrival plus an approx year of coming to UK then using anyone of those 3 things could be looked up on their data base and a search could be made. When I found the relevant information I did phone back but it was a different person I spoke to and they had no knowledge of this data base which really confused me. I only wished I had taken more notes of what the first person told me.
More recently I've tried various places but I still cant find anyone who knows if such a data base exists :?
Emmy

Return to “Italian Genealogy”