surname corino, possibly from acri, calabria

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
missz

surname corino, possibly from acri, calabria

Postby missz » 12 Jul 2009, 10:14

hello all, first i would like to say thank you upfront for any help you may provide to me. i am trying to find the records for my paternal GF. i have no clear information on the man who was born & died in italy. my dad was born in usa in 1916. on his birth & marraige certificates it lists his dad as either antonio or cosmo & surnamed as either carino or corino. my paternal GM is also from italy. shortly after my dad's birth my GF returned (alone) to italy.
i am assuming he arrived in the usa about 1910 (ish).i have searched ancestry.com for records & can find nothing definitive about his arrival to usa. i have been told that he once sent a letter to my dad which was posted from acri, but that was the only communication so i don't know if he was born there, etc.
i would like to get my italian passport. i believe i am eligible. but the BIG roadblock is how to get any info on this man who skipped town shortly after my dad's birth. i checked local usa records (ri & cn) for marriage / divorce records & come up blank. my GM remarried & i don't even know her maiden name.
any suggestions of how to proceed?
grazie mille,
z

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: surname corino, possibly from acri, calabria

Postby suanj » 12 Jul 2009, 10:55

In Acri existing CORINO surname... for better help .. if you can provide more details abt where he lived in USA ... thanks,
suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

missz

Postby missz » 12 Jul 2009, 11:16

ah yes, that would be helpful. he lived in westerly, ri. he MAY have spent some time in stonington, cn. my dad was born in 1916, his sister (same father as my dad) was born in 1918. & the 1920 census lists my GM (grace) as head of family so my GF probably left between 1918-20.
i am now trying to find records online from italy about his birth/marriage/death. i am learning it is a vast maze...
thank you for any help, assistance, guidance...
z

Joannsalvo
Elite
Elite

Postby Joannsalvo » 12 Jul 2009, 11:22

You can try this site.
Registration is free.
http://88.59.143.158/ascs_web/consulta_ ... lice.faces

missz

Postby missz » 12 Jul 2009, 11:27

yes, that's where i'm looking now (well for the past hr or so.) i'll continue tomorrow.
thanks again

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 12 Jul 2009, 12:04

Cosmo Corino, born 1851, arrived USA at NYC on 6/9/1906 at age 55 from Acri. Go to www.castlegarden.com =Peter=
~Peter~

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 12 Jul 2009, 12:40

in your dad birth certificate, the age of Antonio/Cosmo Corino is ...?
thanks for a reply,
suanj

ps: maybe you already know this record

New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
about Cosino Corino
Name: Cosino Corino
Arrival Date: 2 Jun 1907
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1871

Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Ethnicity/Race­/Nationality: Italian (South) (Italian)
Ship Name: Neckar
Search Ship Database: Search the Neckar in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Line: 8
Microfilm Serial: T715
Microfilm Roll: T715_911
Birth Location Other: acri
Page Number: 71
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 12 Jul 2009, 13:15

in Westerly, RI, it was another Corino, maybe related with your ancestor... he was born in Acri also:
U.S. World War II Draft Registration Cards, 1942
about Michele Corino
Name: Michele Corino
Birth Date: 5 May 1890
Birth Place: Acri, Italy
Residence: Washington, Rhode Island
Race: White
Roll: WW2_2368318

it is very strange that in WWI draft registration card I cannot find your Antonio/Cosmo or Cosimo... he was sure in Westerly, RI..
however by Cosenza state archive, well it was also the Corina surname in Acri.... maybe can help..
I found a Cosmo CORINA born in Acri the 16/feb/1870 ; another born the 22/jan/1858 and I believe cannot be he, because a bit old...
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

missz

Postby missz » 13 Jul 2009, 11:21

thank you so much people for your responses,
peter, i think the man you mentioned would have been too old.
suanj, i am traveling now & won't be beck in the usa until next year so i don't know/remember the age of my GF when my dad was born. (if i recall anything - he was in his 20s)
there would be no draft registration for my GF because he returned to italy shortly after my dad was born.

i will reserach more about the other corino from acri. i don't remember any other corino's in westerly when i went there as a small child visiting my GM.

thanks very much both of you for your feedback
z

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 13 Jul 2009, 14:21

Hi missz, well when you will can, please to say us the exact first name and possible birthyear of your GF almost we know who we must search... on Westerly old directory, from 1913 to 1917 nobody Corino/Carino or similar spelling is listed... the better way for a search, it is to find more and sure details in USA, so by that it could be possible to request a search in Cosenza Archive, especially in military papers abt military service... best regards,
suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

kcorina

Postby kcorina » 17 Sep 2009, 14:28

Hi missz. I am a Corina from Westerly, RI. Maybe I can help you. My grandfather's name was Natale, born 1895, came to US in 1920, died in Long Island in 1955. I saw a mention of a Michele Corino. That was my grandfather's brother who lived in Westerly/Bradford. I think when he first came to America between 1906 and 1915, he was living in NY. For some reason, Michele went by Corino and Natale by Corina. I also saw mention of a Cosmo Corina born 1851 and came to US in 1906. I think that was my grandfather's uncle. I have been corresponding with another person who mentioned a Cosmo Corina who married Teresa Luzzi around 1890 and had a son Angelo. I don't know if he is related to my grandfather or not, probably is somehow. You can go to my website kcorina.com where I started putting in my family tree. Maybe you'll see something familiar.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”