Lepria family

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
cjp

Lepria family

Postby cjp » 19 Dec 2003, 04:57

My greatgrandmother was a Lepria. Her family was from a town name Roccamena. Her fathers name was Salvatore. Don't know if she had any siblings however, her mother died when my ggrandmother was young. Her father sent her to live in a convent. Don't know the name or location of the convent. Any information on the Lepria family will help.
Thanks

ptimber
Master
Master

Postby ptimber » 19 Dec 2003, 06:16

Dear CJP There is no surname Lepria in Italy and it is incorrect. the Italian surname dictionary gives Lepri as the base surname along with the derivations and variations iof Lepre,lepori lepore and none appear to be asssociated with Roccamena. Can you get back to someone in your family who may have the correct surname or perhaps visit a cemetary where she is buried and check out the spelling of her surname? Peter

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Lepria family

Postby suanj » 19 Dec 2003, 16:43

cjp wrote:My greatgrandmother was a Lepria. Her family was from a town name Roccamena. Her fathers name was Salvatore. Don't know if she had any siblings however, her mother died when my ggrandmother was young. Her father sent her to live in a convent. Don't know the name or location of the convent. Any information on the Lepria family will help.
Thanks

Hi: as just Peter has said, Lepria not exist. In Sicily are small presence of surnames:

Lepri, Lepre, and large presence LIPARI. Personally I think that exact spelling it is LIPARI..In Roccamena (Palermo province ) are Lipari surname:
http://paginebianche.virgilio.it/pb/cer ... na&x=0&y=0
and also an Lipari Salvatore...!

In Sicily at "Archivio di Stato -Palermo" I've found many convents, but very near Roccamena(look map http://www.avulss.org/regioni/siciliaduecartina.htm ) are Corleone's Convent:

CORLEONE:
S. Agostino, 1384 - 1865, voll. 51 e pergg. 7.
SS. Salvatore, benedettine, 1388 - 1866, voll. 884.
S. Maria Maddalena, benedettine, 1489 - 1866, voll. 483.
Comunia del capitolo della chiesa madre, 1495 - 1866, voll. 47.
S. Maria del Carmelo, 1531 - 1866, voll. 9.
SS. Annunziata sotto il titolo della Badia nuova, clarisse, 1549 -1866, voll. 187.

But only in Palermo Common they were 66 convents!!! Please let me know the first name your ggrandmother..regards, suanj

RagusaAhrens

Postby RagusaAhrens » 01 Apr 2010, 03:10

Re: Salvador Liparo (Lipari?) from Roccamena

My great-grandfather was Domenico Ragusa from Roccamena. He had a sister named Anna Ragusa who married a Salvador (Salvatore) Liparo who was a blacksmith. My grandfather worked for him as a boy. My grandfather was b. 1899 and immigrated to New Orleans 1822. If these dates fit we may have a match.

Also, Roccamena is in the diocese of Monreale. The other side of my family had a sister that entered the convent there. I think it was Benedictine. One suggestion would be to try to access the diocesan records... I haven't tried yet.

Hope this helps.

RagusaAhrens

Postby RagusaAhrens » 01 Apr 2010, 03:11

Also the church in Roccamena is S.S. Salvatore - Monsignor Cipolla. (They are both on YouTube) Perhaps he could give you some guidance....

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 01 Apr 2010, 03:27

Guidance about what? address, location or records ??? Please be specific so we know what you had inmind. =Peter=
~Peter~

Return to “Italian Genealogy”