Looking for information on ggggmother Rose Crosetti

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
adamf
Rookie
Rookie

Looking for information on ggggmother Rose Crosetti

Postby adamf » 16 Jul 2009, 01:09

Well, this message is more a hope that someone will come upon this message through an internet search. I don't really expect to find any documents, as I just don't have enough info (but I have seen you guys do wonders before). Of course, any suggestions by the board would be appreciated.

My ggggparents were Thomas Buffo and Rose Crosetti. Rose Crosetti is the target of this query.

I know very little about her. She was Thomas Buffo's first wife. They settled in Spring Valley, IL. I do not know when they arrived. I know they were married until 1890. I do not know if they were married in Italy or in the U.S. They had two children Domenica and Caroline. Domenica "Minnie" was my gggm. She was born Jan 24 1888 in Spring Valley, IL (as the first child, a tentative date of marriage would be about 1887 as a guess). Caroline was born Apr 14 1890 in Spring Valley, IL. At some point in 1890, Thomas and Rose separated. He went back to Italy, got another wife named Ernestine. Came back to Spring Valley area and had 4 more children.

Rose Crosetti disappears somewhere. All I know is she died at 74 years of age in California. I know this only because a genealogy researcher who died in the '80's had this notation in his research records. Unfortunately that was all he had. And unfortunately birth and church records in 1880's Spring Valley are not existent.

I know plenty about Thomas, and his second wife Ernestine. In fact, I thought Ernestine was my ggggm until this new information recently came to light. I know that Thomas is from Pratiglione in the north of Italy. I have already sent off a request for his birth and marriage records, in the hopes that he married Rose over there.

Its maddening because I know there are records in the U.S. for her somewhere, as she died in California. So far I just don't have a way to find her.

Anyway, lengthy post I know. Thanks to all you wonderful people for your efforts.

pink67
Master
Master

Re: Looking for information on ggggmother Rose Crosetti

Postby pink67 » 16 Jul 2009, 07:56

:D Hello Adam!

Don't know if this arrival manifest could be a good possibility... but I think the last names Crosetti and Buffo togheter are a good beginning... :wink:

Crosetto Rosina, age 19, single, going to Braidwood (If I'm not wrong it's in IL?) and a few lines below a Buffo G.B (short for Giovanni Battista or Gio Batta) going to Braidwood too... :!:

New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
about Rosina Crosetto
Name: Rosina Crosetto
Arrival Date: 20 Oct 1881
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1862
Port of Departure: Le Havre, France
Destination: Braidwood,United States of America
Place of Origin: Italy
Ethnicity/Race­/Nationality: Italian
Ship Name: Labrador
Search Ship Database: Search the Labrador in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Port of Arrival: New York
Line: 37
Microfilm Serial: M237
Microfilm Roll: M237_443
List Number: 1477
Port Arrival State: New York
Port Arrival Country: United States

[img=http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/6942/crosettorosina1881arriv.th.jpg]

Laura

adamf
Rookie
Rookie

Postby adamf » 16 Jul 2009, 15:19

A great start!!!

I think this one is definitely a possibility too. Many Italian coal miners and their families stopped in Braidwood before moving on to Spring Valley, so this is definitely an interesting record.

adamf
Rookie
Rookie

Postby adamf » 16 Jul 2009, 18:21

Ok, so using that record as a possible jumping off point, Rose died in around 1936 in California. Not a whole lot to go on. But if anyone can make anything from California records, I'd appreciate it. The budget is getting tight and I recently had to cancel my ancestry account, otherwise I'd peruse myself.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”