Renzi from Genoa

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Sammi65

Renzi from Genoa

Postby Sammi65 » 25 Jul 2009, 02:28

Hello everyone!

I have just joined the site and am new to genealogical research in Italy, though have being doing genealogy for over 20 years now.

I am trying to trace the line of Carmen Renzi, who was a native of Genoa, born there in November 1872 according to the 1900 Census. He immigrated to the US via New York in 1895, and settled in Fayette County, Pennsylvania.

How do I access Genoan birth records? And this is a long shot, but is anyone else researching the Renzis?

Regards
Samantha

vj
Master
Master

Re: Renzi from Genoa

Postby vj » 25 Jul 2009, 13:29

Hello Samantha!
Records in Italy are kept at the comune level and can be ordered by mail (free of charge) directly from the comune.
In some cases the civil records have also been filmed by the LDS.
Do you know if Carmen Renzi was born in the comune of Genoa or the Province of Genoa?
Thanks! Valarie

Sammi65

Postby Sammi65 » 25 Jul 2009, 15:07

Hi Valarie
Thanks for replying. All I know is that the family said he was 'from Genoa', I don't know anything beyond that, and am not at all familiar with the geographical area or how they are set up records-wise.
Regards
Samantha

vj
Master
Master

Postby vj » 25 Jul 2009, 15:33

Hi Samantha!
If you can find out what his original town was, locating records in Italy becomes easier. Italian records are wonderfuly detailed and complete.

His town could be on his ship manifest (after abt 1900 and even ones from the 1890's) or on a manifest of someone who used his name as 'who they were joining' in the US (ship manifests after abt 1907).
http://stevemorse.org/ellis2/ellisgold.html

The town is also usually on his naturalization paperwork, if he filed in 1906 or later.

If it's not on Carmen's records, it may be on his relative's (siblings) if they also moved to the US.

If your Carmen is the one who lived in Dunbar Twp, I noticed his 1920 census states he naturalized in 1918? Do you have this paperwork? I've looked on footnote. com and can't find it.

Also, it appears that this Carmen had brothers living in Dunbar Twp. These Renzi families had 1st sons named Nick and 1st daughters named Rose or Mary? If they are brothers, this is probably their parents' names.
Italian Naming Traditions

If Carmen had brothers or nephews born between 11 Sept 1872 and 12 Sept 1900, they may have a WWI Draft Registration Card with their birth town on it.

No doubt you already know this stuff, but sometimes it helps to get another perspective.
Hope this helps a bit!
Valarie
---

Note: I did a quick check of Ellis Island and found a few Renzi's from Prignano Cilento headed to Connellsville (Fayette County) PA.
Prignano Cilento is abt 9 hrs from Genoa :?

Comune: Prignano Cilento
Province: Salerno
Region: Campania

vj
Master
Master

Postby vj » 25 Jul 2009, 17:05

In case you don't have these

Found these possible obituaries on 'Access Newspaper Archive'
No help for a birth location for Carmen.
Perhaps St Rita's church has more complete records for the family?
Carmen and Rose's marriage record?
Maybe a birth or baptismal record showing the parent's birthplace?
Valarie

Monday, 7 Dec 1942
The Daily Courier
Carmine Renzi obituary
---

Carmen Renzi's wife Rose

28 Dec 1922
The Weekly Courier
Rosie Renzi obituary

Sammi65

Postby Sammi65 » 26 Jul 2009, 01:55

Hi Valarie

Oooh you've given me a lot of ideas to be going on with, thank you so much!! I will keep digging. I have Carmen's ship manifest from the Furst Bismarck in 1895, Ellis Island has him recorded as Zenzi, but Ancestry had him as Renzi. No details other than 'Italy' though.

Hmmm, Connellsville is not that big, I can't imagine two different unrelated branches of the Renzi's both deciding to go there. My source was emphatic about Genoa, but I shall mention Prignano Cilento and see if that provokes any forgotten memories.

Once again thank you!

Samantha

vj
Master
Master

Postby vj » 26 Jul 2009, 02:03

Samantha
I'm so glad we could give you some possibly new ideas to work with.
Please drop by and let us know how you're doing when you get a chance.
And when you get a definite town we can help direct you on where to get your family's records.
Valarie

Sammi65

Postby Sammi65 » 26 Jul 2009, 05:59

Hi Valarie

There seem to be what could well be two brothers of Carmen in the same town - Domenico ('Dominick') and Raffaele ('Ralph'). I found the immigration of both, and on Raffaele's it confirmed the birthplace as Prignano, though Domenico's said only Italy. Raffaele was travelling with Pietro Vinci from the same place - Dominick's wife's maiden name was Vinci.
There is also a slightly younger Renzi from Italy in the same small area...Frank. I can't find him before 1920 in the US. He gives wildly different immigration dates (1900 and 1889!) in the 1920 and 1930 censuses, and I haven't ben able to find his entry to the US . His kid's names don't follow the same pattern as the others either, so I have no idea if or where he fits in.
It really does look like Genoa is a red herring, perhaps that was a different branch of the family. Carmen's wife Rosa Corrado came from Brienza, which doesn't appear to be very far from Prignano Cilento, another possible indication that he is also from there and is in fact a brother of Dominick and Ralph.
No luck yet in finding naturalisation records for any of them. Still plugging away.....
Regards
Samantha

vj
Master
Master

Postby vj » 26 Jul 2009, 12:58

Hi Samantha,
Thank you for the update!
Sounds like you've got some great possible connections.

I'm not sure if you noticed this or not, wives in Italy retain their father's surname. On manifests, unless traveling with their husband & identified only as 'wife', women traveled under their maiden names.

Do you have Carmen & Rosa's marriage records (the exact date was in Rosa's obituary?) It would be interesting to see who the witnesses were.

Since you have Carmen's wife Rosa Corrado's birth location and aprox birth date, you may want to go ahead and order the civil records for Brienza.

If Carmen Renzi was from Prignano Cilento, we're out of luck with the Family History Center - the town hasn't been filmed yet.
No doubt you've used the LDS microfilms before, but just in case... :wink:
Valarie

Your nearest Family History Center has records for Brienza on microfilm.
The cost is about $6 mo (rent), you’ll need to go to the center to order & view them.

Family History Library Catalog:
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/Library ... t_fhlc.asp

film notes for Brienza

Topic: Italy, Potenza, Brienza - Civil registration
Titles: Registri dello stato civile, 1809-1910 Brienza (Potenza).
Ufficio dello stato civile
---

Family History Center & Italian records

FamilySearch Home Page
Includes how to find your nearest local Family History Center

A helpful essay written by Trish, one of our forum members:
Steps for Finding Microfilm at the Family History Center
---

Italian Record Research from FamilySearch guides:
Italy Research Outline
---

Also from FamilySearch (PDF format)
Italian Records Extraction - An Instructional Guide

vj
Master
Master

Postby vj » 26 Jul 2009, 13:08

You can also write to both Prignano Cilento and Brienza for your family's records.
There's no charge. Response time will depend upon the number of requests they normally deal with, since it's not a primary function of their office. Most comunes are very accommodating. Turn around time can be betweeen several weeks and a couple of months.

Italian form letter generator with instructions:
http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... civile.asp
---

Addresses:

Comune di Prignano Cilento
Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Piazza Municipio 1
84060 Prignano Cilento SA
ITALY

http://www.nonsolocap.it/campania/85-prignano-cilento/

Comune di Brienza
Ufficio dello Stato Civile