Searching Palombo/Valente from Detroit, MI

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
ToniD8236

Re: Searching Palombo/Valente from Detroit, MI

Post by ToniD8236 »

adriana295 wrote:Also is there a way to find a Maiden Name? I am trying to find out the name of my Great Aunt.
I know her maiden name was Cornacchia but we're not entirely sure what her first name was (possibly Antionetta)
She had a daughter called Grazia (Grace) and her married name is Grace Desilets (married John Desilets +1987) who I can find in searches but no wedding certificate.

She currently lives in Leominster, MA
Hi! I hope you're still using this site, as I just stumbled across this site and I think we may have some relatives in common.

My Great Aunt is Grace Desilets and she lives in Leominster, MA (where my mom's family, the Cornacchia's, are from). My grandfather (Grace Desilet's brother), now deceased, was Anthony (nee Felice) Cornacchia, son of Carmine and Rose Cornacchia. Grace and their brother Mario Cornacchia are still alive. Anthony was the father of seven children, with two sons, so there are many descendants from that branch of the family!

If you are still looking for information, please feel free to contact me and I'd be happy to answer questions and connect with my Great Aunt Grace. I'm very interested in finding out more about my family history!
jamiecapaldi
Master
Master

Post by jamiecapaldi »

There was a Antonio Valente born 1851 as a Musician living with my Capaldi Family in Bristol, UK 1891 as a Musician.
The Valente Family came to Bristol around 1879 and left around 1901.
There was another Antonio born 1884.
Giuseppe Valente married Celestina Tricone in Bristol, UK 1894.
Carmine Valente died in Bristol, UK 1900, Born 1858!
NAMES: Capaldi-Tedesco-Tamilio-Minchella-Verrecchia-Tomasso-Franchitto-Innelli-Arpino-Caringi-Colacicco-Macari-Pinchera-Salera-D'Orazio-Ambrosino-Di Mambro-Sigliocolo-Masello
PLACES: Cassino- UK, USA, Ireland, Canada & Australia
http://www.cassino-families.co.uk
adriana295
Rookie
Rookie

Post by adriana295 »

ToniD8236 wrote:
adriana295 wrote:Also is there a way to find a Maiden Name? I am trying to find out the name of my Great Aunt.
I know her maiden name was Cornacchia but we're not entirely sure what her first name was (possibly Antionetta)
She had a daughter called Grazia (Grace) and her married name is Grace Desilets (married John Desilets +1987) who I can find in searches but no wedding certificate.

She currently lives in Leominster, MA
Hi! I hope you're still using this site, as I just stumbled across this site and I think we may have some relatives in common.

My Great Aunt is Grace Desilets and she lives in Leominster, MA (where my mom's family, the Cornacchia's, are from). My grandfather (Grace Desilet's brother), now deceased, was Anthony (nee Felice) Cornacchia, son of Carmine and Rose Cornacchia. Grace and their brother Mario Cornacchia are still alive. Anthony was the father of seven children, with two sons, so there are many descendants from that branch of the family!

If you are still looking for information, please feel free to contact me and I'd be happy to answer questions and connect with my Great Aunt Grace. I'm very interested in finding out more about my family history!
Hi yes, I have only refound this website. Grace is my relation. She still writes to my mum and aunt every xmas.
I have also found you on ancestroy.com :)
Glasgow Italian currently living and working in London, UK
adriana295
Rookie
Rookie

Post by adriana295 »

francop wrote:I have lot of information on francesco Alberto Palombo, Crescenzos brother.
Also have photos.
Francesco was my grandfather and is buried in Villa Latina.
His wife Emilia, from a very large Gargaro family , also from Villa Latina is buried in Alexandria, Scotland. Will post lots of info if anyone would find it interesting.
Francop
Just refound this website!!! Hello relation!! Yes any information is welcome as i'm trying to add more and more to the family tree.
adriana295
Rookie
Rookie

Post by adriana295 »

carole37 wrote:In our family tree there is a PASQUALE VALENTE born Jan 18, 1876
died June 21, 1966
He was married to Loreta Rossi born March 18, 1879.
they had 7 children---Antonio, Luigi, Pietro, Luciano, Felice, Mary Civita, and Loreto.
If you think any of this fits your family I have birthdates for some of the children. Our family lived in Detroit. I probably cannot answer details about the people. My aunt went to Villa Latina and Atina and got our family history.

Hi yes there seems to be 2 Pasquale Valentes in Detroit. I know my Pasquale dies in 1946 as my G.Father was still young and Pasquale was due to return to Villa Latina. Antonio would be my grandfather and Maria Civita is my cousins mum (also in Scotland). Loreto was in Detroit as was one more brother with one moving to Belgium.
adriana295
Rookie
Rookie

Post by adriana295 »

vj wrote:Valente family
adriana295 wrote: My other great grandfather is a little more of a mystery. His name was Pasquale Valente and lived in Detroit with his two sons Loreto (Larry) and Luciano. I know Luciano had a Deli/Store in Newark. NI and this is where the leads vanish. Larry died recently as far as I know and the information has stopped due to all the older generations in my family passing away. I know Pasquale died in a railing accident in the 1920's although I can't seem to find any written record of his death.
I looked at Loreto Valente's 1936 manifest again, if this is the correct Loreto he was joining his father Pasquale in Detroit. Are you sure your Pasquale died in the 1920's?

Is this correct?
1936 manifest
page 2

21 Dec 1936 SS Saturnia, Naples to NY
line 2

Loreto Valente 18 (abt 1918)
- single
- born in & last residence Villa Latina (Frosinone, Lazio)
- in Villa Latina, mother Loreta Rossi
- destination Detroit, MI
- not in US before
- joining father Pasquale at 3634 Russell Street
Managed to get a lot together although I still can't find a copy of Pasquales death certificate. He died 21 June 1946. I know he died during his work on the railways but that is about all I know.

Help anyone?
carole37

Post by carole37 »

My aunt wrote to all these family members in 1990 and these are the dates given from their records---I also have some of the children and their dates if you want to go farther
will look and see what I have on the others you are looking into--I might also have some photos but not sure-- Carole Rossi

PASQUALE VALENTE b. Jan. 18, 1877 in Villa Latina
d. June 21, 1946 in Detroit, MI
m. Apr. 21, 1898 in Villa Latina
wife GIUSEPPA LORETA ROSSI
children:
ANTOINIO b. July 1920 Villa Latina d. May 14, 1994 in Alexandria, Scotland
LUIGI m. CATERINA PACITTI
PIETRO m. IDA TUSEI
LUCIANO b. Sept 19, 1900 in Liverpool, Eng. d. Dec. 25, 1969 in Dearborn Hts MI
FELICE b. July 5, 1905 in Villa Lat. d. Brussels, Belguim
m. MARIA ROSSI
MARY CIVITA b. Sept 1908 Villa Lat. m. Ferdinand Fusco
LORETO b. May 15, 1918 Villa Lat. d. Nov 3 2005 in Taylor, MI
m. ANGELINA MUSA
adriana295
Rookie
Rookie

Post by adriana295 »

Hi, seems youre my relation then!! Antonio is my grandfather. :) I have the whole family tree on ancestory.com. If you pm me I will send you an invite or look up adrianaverrecchia1 and it should appear.

The one that confuses me is the uncle that was born in Liverpool!!
carole37

Post by carole37 »

Many of the families from Villa Latina and Atina went to England for a few years--I have found English births on both sides of my husbands family- My husbands aunts say it was because of economic problems in Italy. There was an Italian area around Liverpool and another closer to London--some went back to Italy.
carole37

Post by carole37 »

Yes send me an invite to look at your family tree--I will see if I have any information you can add. My husband's aunt Angela Rossi went to Atina/Villa Latina and did a lot of research--but it was very unorganized--I have been putting the pieces together. Carole Rossi
carole37

Post by carole37 »

You are related to my husband Ronald Rossi---
his great grandfather was PIETRO ROSSI m to ANTONIA PANETTA
grandfather GIUSEPPE ROSSI m to ELISABETTA DITROIA---
father LOUIS ROSSI m. to IDA FORTUNA
that brings you to us---Ronald Rossi m. to Carole Klancnik
to contact me by email carolenron@aol.com I would love to hear from you and exchange more information if we can
we lived in the Detroit area and moved to South Carolina 11 years ago
adriana295
Rookie
Rookie

Post by adriana295 »

ok so we share a great great grandfather :D how interesting!
adriana295
Rookie
Rookie

Post by adriana295 »

carole37 wrote:Many of the families from Villa Latina and Atina went to England for a few years--I have found English births on both sides of my husbands family- My husbands aunts say it was because of economic problems in Italy. There was an Italian area around Liverpool and another closer to London--some went back to Italy.
Yes Villa Latina was very, very poor at that time. Both my maternal great grandfathers worked the ships and laboured in the USA while their wives and families stayed back in Villa Latina. It provided a better life for their family where if you watch the trail the majority of the sons moved to join their father when they hit 18. My grandfather who was the baby was in WWII and ended up in the UK after that with his sister following. I know they lived in the UK for a very short time as my great grandmother did not like the UK.

Oddly enough my maternal grandfather was born in PA! I can't seem to find his birth cert although its on his passport/death cert.

Can I ask did Louis (Luigi) start out in MA?
adriana295
Rookie
Rookie

Post by adriana295 »

Do you know where I could look to find a PA birth cert? My grandfather is born there, but I cant find him on any records OR his parents arrival to the USA.
Ancestory is bringing up nothing!

Crescenco Palombo born 11 Nov 1980

His parents were Nunziato Palombo and Benedetta Panetta

Ellis Island pulls up nothing :-/
Etor

Post by Etor »

I'm new here. I was born in 1954 and am 3rd generation Gargaro. There is a very large group (pretty much all) of us in Detroit. My great grandfather Domenico (my namesake) Gargaro of Villa Latina married Olivia Arcari of Atina. My grandfather Etorre was the 1st of 6 boys. I believe he was born en-route to New York in 1907. All six had fairly large families and we all lived in the Northwest neighborhoods (Palmer Park, Highland Park, Sherwood Forest) and a few in Grosse Point. Domenico started a construction company that grew to be one of the leading tunnel / sewer contractors in the state in the 40's - 60's. I visited Villa Latina in 1996 and had dinner with some cujinos who still reside in the area. There is actually a street named Gargaro in V L.
I've done some family tree research and some of the names that appear are, Arcari, Coppolla, D'Annunzio, Palombo, Valenti, and more that I can't recall. This site looks fun and informative. I look forward to contributing and studying! Grazie Mille!
Domenico Gargaro III